UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2009, 10:08 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Using Acetates to recreate dial markings

I'm sure that somewhere on this forum there's a thread explaining how to do this, but I can't find it. What I want to do is print as accurate a copy of a Ferranti U1015 dial as possible onto an acetate, then transfer or attach it to the original glass scale, which has lost some of it's markings, so how do I go about this? I would be using a HP deskjet printer, and typing in a scale in Wordpad.
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 2:43 pm   #2
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: Using Acetates to recreate dial markings

Here's one location - there may be more:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ght=dial+scans
This is for scanning an existing scale, rather than creating from scratch.

-Tony
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 3:52 pm   #3
paulsherwin

You may find it very difficult to create a realistic looking tuning scale using simple software like Wordpad. The best approach is to start with a scan, even if the scan is incomplete or incorrect for your model, and modify it using a graphics editing program. There is a drawing program in the OpenOffice suite which is on it's way to you, or you could download the free GIMP graphics editor. Both these programs are difficult for a beginner though, because they can do so much.

The big problem is always the impossibility of printing white onto transparent film using a standard inkjet printer. You may need to change the colour scheme of the tuning scale as a workaround.

Paul
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 7:31 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I shall await reception of the Open Office suite, Paul. In the meantime I will scan the dial in question, and save it. Incidentally the calibrations, station names, etc., are in Black on
a clear background, printed directly on the glass.
Old 26th Oct 2009, 1:25 pm   #5
PWH
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The big problem is always the impossibility of printing white onto transparent film using a standard inkjet printer.
Paul
But if you are careful you can paint the patch where the decal is going white and then stick the decal on top so it shows through the transparent bit..
Closed Thread