UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2014, 2:12 am   #1
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Default Vintage Farnell TSV30/2 EC 0-30V 2A power supply

Does anyone know if these are any good or not? To clarify, are they smooth, do they have issues or quirks ..or are they fine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	psu.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	91626  
Old 17th Apr 2014, 7:31 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Vintage Farnell TSV30/2 EC 0-30V 2A power supply

I know their later power supplies fairly well, but not one that early. As for quirks, it has an overcurrent trip rather than the now more common continuous limiter. For only a 60W PSU it has a transformer tapping switch to optimise efficiency. I suspect you'll find it uses Germanium power transistors. I've never seen wood on a Farnell PSU before.

If the electrolytics are OK, you can expect it to have good low ripple. If you use it to power something whose current demand fluctuates you may find the response a bit slow. It wasn't seen as an important parameter then.

It all depends what you want to do with it.

David
Old 17th Apr 2014, 10:36 am   #3
threeseven
Octode

Well, well! It's a small world! Never thought I'd see another one of those apart from mine!
Your example is in marvelous condition though, mine is a bit battle weary! Haven't managed to test drive mine yet so I can't report on it's performance but being Farnell I can't imagine being anything but good.
Old 17th Apr 2014, 2:12 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

We had several of those in the lab at work (in the '60s), singles and duals as I recall . Apart from the overcurrent trip, as mentioned by David, rather than constant current limiter, which made driving lamps a bit critical, the only problem I recall was that the terminals/binding posts had all stripped and would not tighten, so I replaced them with more modern 4mm types. I fixed them to the panel with araldite, as the original keyed cut-out was a little large for the replacements.

Ron
Old 17th Apr 2014, 9:35 pm   #5
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
Well, well! It's a small world! Never thought I'd see another one of those apart from mine!
Sadly , it is not mine I wish it was, I am quite surprised as I thought people would suck their teeth, wince and make all sorts of tutting noises at the mention of such an old PSU . But up to now feedback seems to be good . It would be nice to lay my hands on one as I do not have a bench power supply at the moment . It is for radio (receiver) work ,so nothing demanding . I am sick of trying to take transistor voltages with a Yuasa battery that suddenly loses voltage then has to have a 12hr charge. I want a linear supply and this seemed to fit the bill. I will just have to keep an eye open on the popular auction site for one . @threeseven , You are lucky to have a nice unit , if you want rid, I may well be interested !
I wonder if they pop up regularly ?
Old 18th Apr 2014, 1:50 am   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

I remember a Farnell advert of the late 1970's that featured a photo of an early L30 power supply with the caption "our biggest competitor": so many of the old ones were still giving sterling service that there was little incentive to buy new ones. We certainly had a good few at Plessey: the older models had plain screw terminals without a 4mm socket.
Old 18th Apr 2014, 5:32 pm   #7
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

That says it all ! HA! Well I will definitively keep an eye out for one , missed the last one only by days.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 6:13 pm   #8
cmjones01
Nonode

You'll find that any of the Farnell power supplies will do the job, and the newer (1970s/1980s) ones will probably do it better than this one even if they don't look as pretty. Almost every electronics lab in the country had at least one in (that's only a mild exaggeration) so it shouldn't be hard to find one secondhand. I have an L30/2 and a 30V 5A one I can't remember the model number of, both a bit battle-scarred, both in daily use, both reliable. Recommended.

Chris
Old 19th Apr 2014, 7:20 pm   #9
evingar
Octode

I have a B30/20 (30V 20 Amp) built like a brick outhouse - seriously heavy. I would wager though that it will still be going long after more modern (lighter weight) linear PSU's are in landfill.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 7:33 pm   #10
threeseven
Octode

I have one of those, there was also the B30/10. These don't have any meters or current limit though.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 9:29 am   #11
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I used to have the 30v 2 amp unit (forgot its number) which had a biggish tapped transformer. It was intended for "in panel", fixed voltage use. If using near 30V, use full Tx output, if down at say 5v, tap at halfway. I fitted an external adjuster and it served me one or two decades. I gave it to my son, but he probably never used it. Now I have a LS30-10. Fully adjustable for o/p voltage and o/p current limit. The little graph on the front indicates 2amp at 30v, and 10a amp at 6v.
very usefull for all manner of jobs, but recently it started playing up, with voltage display wandering about.
A strip down revealed a few elcos needing changing, and possibly a dry joint. I forget (even though it was only a couple of months ago), but it was all "obvious". It was full of black dust from the rubbishy thin black foam, but that was removed with the compressor, and since then it has been flawless once more.
Les.
Old 4th May 2014, 11:38 am   #12
Julesomega
Nonode

That TSV30/2 EC seems to use switched transformer taps plus a conventional regulator to keep the dissipation sensibly low at low OP voltages. A decade or so later Philips lab PSUs had thyristor pre-regulators to achieve the same control of dissipation eg PE1512 or PE1642.
From the same era the TSV 50-5 used a single voltage control by having a variac ganged to a pot to give full-range voltage control, as seen in the photos of one currently on offer. The cut-out relay is also visible. These must have been high-end supplies only for the best-funded labs!
Closed Thread