UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2014, 5:37 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Marconi 2022 Frozen on power up

Hi Guys.
One of (out of 2) Marconi 2022 Signal generators has started mis behaving...on power up, The frequency button is lit...and the REV Output legend is flashing, and No other functions will work, When booting up, it goes through the firmware checks and then goes to the symptom I described.

One silly thing though...if I hold down a button, and power up... Voila works ok.

Any ideas please ??

Not too urgent as number 2 still works ok

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 27th Apr 2014, 9:21 pm   #2
Dickie
Octode

Default Re: Marconi 2022 Frozen on power up

Can you expand on "the REV Output legend is flashing" ? Do you mean the RPP (reverse power protection) has tripped?

Richard, BVWS member
Old 28th Apr 2014, 10:31 am   #3
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Richard. Yes you are correct... but even with no RF out connection...Since I posted the request...I have powered on again and it now seems ok....Possibly had a "Friday feeling" day......If it happens again I will repost..
Many thanks
Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 28th Apr 2014, 7:04 pm   #4
Dickie
Octode

You can be sure it will happen again, usually when it's most inconvenient..

I was going to say that the manual claims that in that situation the RF level key is still enabled and will reset the RPP trip.
Presumably holding a key down at startup prevents the RPP trip signal getting back to the processor. I would guess you are getting some sort of transient issue at power up that may be down to dried up electrolytics, etc., or maybe a dry joint.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 29th Apr 2014, 10:07 am   #5
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Richard.... Good thoughts... many thanks for your comments... I have used it since and seems to be back working, however all the buttons seem " clicky" compared to my other which are smooth, so it seems it will get "seen to" ,soon.
Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 29th Apr 2014, 11:00 am   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Marconi 2022 Frozen on power up

'Clicky' buttons in a Marconi 2022 sig. gen.: could easily be the cause of the described fault, especially as it is intermittent. Although it was a long time ago, I do vaguely recall having your described problem once. The cure was to strip down the key pad and thoroughly clean it with IPA. I've had the same trouble with calculators: same cause; same fix.

Al.
Old 29th Apr 2014, 9:20 pm   #7
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Al.... When I bought it.... from another member.....I found then that it didn't have the same "feel" as my other, I bought it simply to act as a "reserve", but I find it Most useful when doing RF front end re alignment... set one on the LF end and the other at HF, saves all that frequency changing......I will give it attention when I get back from my hols.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 29th Apr 2014, 9:25 pm   #8
Dickie
Octode

Are you getting confused between technologies? The first 2022s used individual keyswitches using metal dome contacts and actively "clicked". Later developments, eg 2022C,D, used a rubber keymat and conductive rubber pills.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 29th Apr 2014, 10:49 pm   #9
Wendymott
Octode

Hmmmmmmmmm ... Yes Richard........One is the plain old 2022 the other is the 2022E.. problem solved.. just hope it behaves now

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread