UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2019, 9:00 pm   #1
Pieter H
Tetrode

Default Philips 799 projection TV

With a lot of support from Jac Janssen I've been able to substantially update the early Philips TV development. I think it is pretty complete and consistent story now, with a much better chronology and details on the different sets, of course including those developed (partly) by the Mitcham Mullard TV development.

At this moment there is one set that remains a big question mark: the 799A, a rear projection set from 1949. It was a very big console type, including a radio, and I have pictures even of the interior, see below. However, no information on the valves used, nor the projection optics. It would have been logical that it used a Protelgram rear projection module like the 600A, 704A, 1100A and 1400A that were released in the following two years. However, on the picture - for what I can see - it looks different. Also Jac has no info on this set.

So my question: does anybody have the Service Manual or the block diagram or other information on the 799A that allows to complete the story?

Cheers, Pieter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips TG799A SSPLprints.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	178821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips TG799A inside SSPLprints.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	178822  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 9:05 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 799 projection TV

I owned one of these about 20 years ago. I passed it on to the ETF in the USA due to lack of space at my shop. I discovered it inside a large house that was being demolished.

EF50 valves are employed in the IF stages and my example had a very early optical unit with a square plate rather than the familiar circular assembly. The rest of the valves were octals but it is a while back and I cannot remember the layout. I suspect it followed the 663 to a certain degree. John.
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 9:33 am   #3
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter H View Post
It would have been logical that it used a Protelgram rear projection module like the 600A, 704A, 1100A and 1400A that were released in the following two years. However, on the picture - for what I can see - it looks different.
Cheers, Pieter
It certainly looks different to the very common unit used in sets like the 1400A but it looks the same as the unit pictured in the Protelgram advert in your article: https://www.maximus-randd.com/upload...relco-1948.jpg

Peter
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 10:36 am   #4
Jac
Heptode

The receiving chassis has the shape of a 520A chassis.
A service manual will give the solution.

Jac
Closed Thread