UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:12 pm   #21
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: Traditional ways of tying cables together.

Can you explain why RR would used lacing on Trent 700s and sheathing on other Trents, please?

Andy
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:09 pm   #22
Dave1000
Retired Dormant Member

It has always been so (unless the looms have changed on the 700 very recently). The 700 happens to be an old engine, the oldest Trent still in production. If it ain't broke.... especially in aero engines where changing anything takes an awful lot of effort and money once an engine is certified.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 10:11 pm   #23
mole42uk
Nonode

We were taught to use marline hitches in waxed linen tying at Bell-Fruit in the 1970's. It always looked so very neat, especially when performed by an experienced hand!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:52 pm   #24
chriswood1900
Octode

Thanks again for all the inputs to this topic, I have found it very useful and I hope others who perhaps weren't trained in the Telco industry or Military might find it useful on their restoration projects.
Chris
Old 19th Feb 2019, 2:53 am   #25
trobbins
Heptode

As well as Argus25 comments on sensitive cables run in a cableform, it is also wise to not run any mains AC side cables in a loom with secondary side cables. Similar to modern cable ducts in industrial equipment, its sometimes mandated to use separate ducts.

On that score, I have 'pulled' out cables in vintage instrumentation, and both smiled when pulling was 'easy', and sworn profusely when not so easy. That suggests it can be better to avoid 'really tight' lacing.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 12:24 pm   #26
David Simpson
Nonode

Chris, if you PM me your address, I'll send you some lengths of the various cords already mentioned in an envelope. Try them out, and see what suits your needs. The armed forces, the BBC, AVO, GPO, Marconi, & so on all had at times different knotting methods. Best bet is to find a kind Forum guy near you who can instruct you "hands on". It not really something that can be learnt by watching online videos, or reading the memories of us old hands via this Forum. Lacing a straight loom is easy enough, but bends & lateral spurs can be difficult.

Regards, David

PS. Belay that first pipe, Chris, I already have your address.
Closed Thread