UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2012, 7:54 pm   #1
val33vo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Analogue radio to die?

I have heard a rumour that the BBC is to close down its analogue transmitting network in a few years time in favour of D.A.B ( 2016 )

Is this correct ? If so it seems to me their will be an awful lot of redundant medium wave and long wave radio sets on the go

Is D.A.B popular ? from what I have heard hardly anybody uses it , but no doubt it will enable more private vendors to sell other products and services to the general public

Still ive got my QRP morse transceiver so I wont be troubled by the switchover

regards

MM0CQT
Old 8th Apr 2012, 8:26 pm   #2
terrybull
Octode

Default Re: analogue radio to die?

For general use I rather like DAB. I have a Roberts DAB at the side of the bed. It has an electronic program guide and I can set it to record programs to listen to later. I would be lost without it. I can't see analogue being killed off completely although it has been rumoured for some time and it is conceivable that the BBC could stop
Old 8th Apr 2012, 9:01 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

It was to be 2015, but the government seem to be backtracking. This issue comes up regularly, so look for other threads.
Old 8th Apr 2012, 9:13 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Be careful, I see this thread getting closed. The subject has been brought up many times before.

David GM8JET
Old 8th Apr 2012, 9:14 pm   #5
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybull View Post
For general use I rather like DAB. I have a Roberts DAB at the side of the bed. It has an electronic program guide and I can set I to record programs to listen to later. I would be lost without it. I can't see analogue being killed off completely although it has been rumoured for some time and it is conceivable that the BBC could stop
Ditto.

I have a Pure clock radio. While I'm sure the quality of DAB has shortcomings, it's fine for R4 in the mornings for me.

I also can't see analogue radio being turned off any time soon and I've heard of no firm cut off date directly from the Govt.
Old 8th Apr 2012, 9:21 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

It certainly wont be 2015.
Old 8th Apr 2012, 9:39 pm   #7
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Be careful, I see this thread getting closed. The subject has been brought up many times before.

David GM8JET
Quite right. A search will reveal several threads.