UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2005, 1:13 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Roberts RT22 - one spider now homeless

Hello,

Ive spent a few hours restoring an early battery only Roberts RT22, one I bought from eBay for £5.50. It did look a bit grim in the pic described simply as 'Roberts radio in working condition' and I was expecting to break it for spares and when it arrived it did indeed look like a piece of junk, filthy dirty with a pitted chrome handle, a missing button cap and when I opened the battery door there inside was a big black spider and loads of cobwebs .... I guess you folk who restore big old valve radios are used to things like that but Ive never seen one in a small transistor portable before, mind you Roberts radios of this era do have a inviting hole in the bottom for homeless arachnids ...

Any way, I connected the RT22 to a battery and it worked well .... whereupon out came the spider running for his life. The pitting on the handle cleaned off fine with some Autoglym (good chrome on Roberts, better than Hacker steel handles) and I gave the radio a good clean and replaced the missing cap and this poor neglected RT22 has really come up almost mint, quite amazing !

People do sell junk on eBay and I daresay the seller thought so too but a spider liked it (where the hell did he go) and so did I and on this occasion I had the last laugh cos this is a jolly nice old radio, the best RT22 Ive got.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RT22b4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1459   Click image for larger version

Name:	rt22black.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	1461  

Last edited by howard; 17th Sep 2005 at 1:17 pm.
Old 17th Sep 2005, 4:45 pm   #2
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Re: Roberts RT22 - one spider now homeless

Hi Howard the spider probably came free of charge nice radio well worth the money and the resoration

Andy
Old 17th Sep 2005, 7:27 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Andy,

Thanks and no I won't complain about the free gift

Ive found him, the spider, he's found a new home just above my table .... gosh he's 3 inches long .....

Howard

PS: Ive called him Robert ....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spider.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1467  
Old 12th Sep 2006, 8:38 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello

I'm sure you'll all be delighted to hear that Robert is alive and well and growing ..... and growing

I have had a horrible thought, I hope this isn't in fact a Roberta .......

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Robert.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	5404  
Old 12th Sep 2006, 8:46 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Lovely job, Howard. It's always very satisfying when you acquire something cheaply intending to use it for spares, then find out it's actually better than what you'd intended to mend with it.

Here are some rather strange friends for Robert(a), all living in my workshop (i.e. garage).

Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spider 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	5405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spider 2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	5406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spider 3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	5407  
Old 13th Sep 2006, 6:42 pm   #6
JoshWard
Octode

An excellent restoration and it's nice to see you're looking after Robert(a). If you want any more spiders I've got loads of big wooden pre-war sets which should have some in.... . Josh.
Old 13th Sep 2006, 8:48 pm   #7
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Hi Howard
I reckon Roberta is a male house spider. Enjoy his company as before long the urge will drag him away to do the required thing for arachnids, mind you unless he is fast enough it will probably seal his fate.
I wonder if he has already been a naughty boy and was in hiding when you found him inside the RT22.
Closed Thread