UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2006, 9:00 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1963 Murphy B801 7 Transistor

Hello

An yet another success, although this radio has been in testing for a while, I actually acquired it some time ago. I will keep this brief as details on its dismantling can be found on my earlier restoration of the almost identical Bush TR114 a few months back.

This Murphy B801 is absolutely mint, not even a light scratch on it and was probably only used once, if even that, before being stuck away inside someones cupboard for 40 odd years. Even so, it didn't work at all The problem as usual was AF117 transistors, two of them in this one had failed. I had a stock of NOS AF116s, around 50% of which were faulty, so Ron Bryan very kindly discharged a cap through a pile of them, between the screen wire and the other three soldered together and I decided to use a couple of these in this set to replace the dead AF117s and to see how they performed.

So two AF117s were duly replaced with these AF116s around three weeks ago and I have been using the radio from time to time and I am very pleased to say that they are working well and the radio works perfectly No problems at all

Its good to have a mint radio now and then, apart from the above all I had to do with it was give it a 10 minute clean and polish This one too has now joined my favorite radios on my welsh dresser.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MurphyB801.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	5460  
Closed Thread