UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2006, 10:46 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Philips valve portable radio.

This Philips model L2G77B/01 (277) has been in my possession for years.
Today I decided to see if still works. A simple power unit has been constructed using the miniature Isoplethics mains transformer.

The original power supply for the set was a 67 volts layer type HT battery and for the LT two U2 type cells.

For a quick fix I employed two cells for the LT. The rectified output from the 70 volt tap on the transformer actually delivers over 100 volts so a 4.7Kohm resistor and a 68 volt zener diode is used to supply the correct HT.

The set came on at once, no work whatsoever was required to get it going.
Selectivity and sensitivity are excellent as one would expect from Philips radios.
According the data for the DL96 output pentode the max audio on 67 volts is 100mW. In use the set delivers plenty sound but it will distort easily if the volume control is advanced too far.

To sum up, a great little set.

I have another 277, but the carrying strap and the volume control knob is missing. It's free to anyone who want it.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips 277.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	5310  
Old 6th Sep 2006, 1:54 am   #2
rajasurian
Diode

Default Re: Philips valve portable radio.

I don't mind having the 277 set.

Thanks.

Last edited by rajasurian; 6th Sep 2006 at 1:57 am. Reason: to be exact
Old 7th Sep 2006, 6:19 pm   #3
stevekendal
Heptode

Default Re: Philips valve portable radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
This Philips model L2G77B/01 (277) has been in my possession for years.
Today I decided to see if still works. A simple power unit has been constructed using the miniature Isoplethics mains transformer.

The original power supply for the set was a 67 volts layer type HT battery and for the LT two U2 type cells.

For a quick fix I employed two cells for the LT. The rectified output from the 70 volt tap on the transformer actually delivers over 100 volts so a 4.7Kohm resistor and a 68 volt zener diode is used to supply the correct HT.

The set came on at once, no work whatsoever was required to get it going.
Selectivity and sensitivity are excellent as one would expect from Philips radios.
According the data for the DL96 output pentode the max audio on 67 volts is 100mW. In use the set delivers plenty sound but it will distort easily if the volume control is advanced too far.

To sum up, a great little set.

I have another 277, but the carrying strap and the volume control knob is missing. It's free to anyone who want it.

DFWB.

I,ll take it if still available. Steve
Closed Thread