UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2018, 2:03 am   #1
radiograham
Hexode

Default Can anyone recognise this radio?

This radio was bought for the princely sum of one pound at golborne on nov 11th.I would like to try to identify it if possible,there are no makers names on the dial or the back.Inside is a pretty standard looking 4 valve+ rectifier s/het and valves i have looked at so far are 6V6-6Q7.so i presume the other two will be 6K7-6K8 and rectifier is U50.One thing i thought was it might be from Seymour Radio who were based in ashton upon lyne manchester from 1947 to 1951.I havent found anything as yet.Mike Barker also thought the knobs looked like Vidor types. Cheers Graham.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	golborne radio 001 2.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	172846   Click image for larger version

Name:	golborne radio 002.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	172847  
Old 16th Nov 2018, 12:31 pm   #2
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Can anyone recognise this radio.

Probably not a Vidor. They often bought generic OEM knobs anyway.
Nice!
Old 16th Nov 2018, 2:00 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Seeing this made me think about all the many small, local-for-local companies, that made Radios (and some of them, Radiograms) for sales in their immediate area. Most of these were "no name", 5 valve, 3 waveband, octal superhet table radios.
I have a very rare book called "The Golden Years" by W D Cussins (Cussins and Light Limited) who from their small workshop, made and distributed their own Radios in East Yorkshire. They also sold and serviced other brands as well. A fascinating story that covers the period of from 1946-1956.
Old 16th Nov 2018, 2:08 pm   #4
paulsherwin

A large number of small radio manufacturers set themselves up in the immediate postwar years. They were often started by demobbed engineers who had worked on radar during the war, and their designs used lots of war surplus valves and components which were being dumped onto the market at that time. The cabinets were built by local furniture makers. Any radio using American valves not from a big name maker is a good candidate.

They had mostly disappeared by the mid 50s.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 12:57 am   #5
radiograham
Hexode

A few more pics of radio,it is a four plus one s/het valve lineup is 6k8gt/6k7g/6q7gt/6v6gt u50.The only markings on the chassis are a series of date stamps the first being 1956 and the latest 1961.Not much chance of finding anything about this radio but thanks to all for for trying. Graham.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	golborne radio 004.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	172956   Click image for larger version

Name:	golborne radio 005.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	172959   Click image for larger version

Name:	golborne radio 006.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	172960   Click image for larger version

Name:	golborne radio 007.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	172961  
Old 17th Nov 2018, 7:51 am   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

It's likely that those dates are just repair dates. The valve line-up suggests 40's.

Looks good for restoration...probably works as well as any set with a similar valve line-up.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 6:16 pm   #7
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I have a very rare book called "The Golden Years" by W D Cussins (Cussins and Light Limited) who from their small workshop, made and distributed their own Radios in East Yorkshire. They also sold and serviced other brands as well. A fascinating story that covers the period of from 1946-1956.
How would you feel about scanning this and making it available online? There must be a great many such books which would not be worth anyone's while to reprint commercially, but which would be of great interest to enthusiasts. Asking you this reminds me that I have several odd booklets which I must scan... as soon as I get a Round Tuit.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 4:02 pm   #8
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Chassis iron works looks a bit like a Plessey? Or even Pye? could have been bits bought from a larger maker and been assembled in a small workshop anywhere. I have not seen a Seymour anything like that, they were mostly consoles with lift up lids.
So Mike got you with the " only a £" line too. I ended up with the big one.
Old 21st Nov 2018, 3:17 am   #9
radiograham
Hexode

As you say seymours are mostly consoles,i have one i bought in manchester about 20 years ago,it was just a thought.I would have had the big one if i had the room!
Old 21st Nov 2018, 10:32 am   #10
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've a Seymour Montrose which is about the size and shape of this set, similar dial arrangement too with a row of four knobs beneath. Checked the chassis though and it doesn't resemble this radio (it's AC/DC for starters): and the dial and knobs are on the left, 'speaker on the right.

Paul
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 3:51 am   #11
radiograham
Hexode

Thanks for looking Paul. I found the article in the bulletin by Iain wright but there wasnt any that matched mine. Graham.
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 8:35 am   #12
DuncanLeece
Pentode

Default Re: Can anyone recognise this radio?

Keeping to a Scottish theme; when I first saw your pictures, I immediately thought it was an Allander, as the cabinet design and construction is so similar to a couple of sets in my wee collection from this Glasgow manufacturer. However, the dial artwork and chassis are completely different, so I don’t think it is one.
Paul in post 4 described Allander’s story to a ‘T’, and I expect he is right that it is a product of another such short-lived 1940s manufacturer.
Kind regards
Duncan
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 8:52 am   #13
stitch1
Heptode

Default Re: Can anyone recognise this radio?

Could McCarthy (Felgate Radio) be a contender?
They mostly made chassis but did produce some table radios. I have a little MC422, the cabinet does not appear to be mass produced.

There are not many pictures around but this one on RMorg has a similar valve line up.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/mccarthy_295.html

John
Closed Thread