UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2018, 4:01 pm   #1
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Sony SL-HF100UB Beta hifi vcr restoration.

Hi all.

I'm in the process of restoring 2 of my Beta hifi vcrs by using a scrap machine that I've had knocking about.
I've fitted a brand new video head, new upper drum and a reconditioned psu to one of them, but my question is, how do I remove the audio/control fixed head from my scrap vcr without putting it out of alignment please?

The vcr I want to put it in has been messed about with by the previous owner and the fixed head tape path is completely out of alignment. I don't have an oscilloscope to set it back up so I'll be using the head from my scrap vcr as when it was working the alignment on the head was spot on.

I've included some pictures of the restored HF100UB, and some of the head in the scrap vcr that I want to change.

Thanks in advance.
Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_122039~2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	172911   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_121710.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	172912   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_123332.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	172913   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_123346.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	172914   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_142222.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	172915  

Old 16th Nov 2018, 4:04 pm   #2
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Re: Sony SL-HF100UB Beta hifi vcr restoration.

Some pictures of the audio/control head...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_144821.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	172917   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_144835.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	172918   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_144849.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	172919  
Old 16th Nov 2018, 9:26 pm   #3
Sanbeta
Hexode

Richard

There is a side to side setting for the positioning and alignment of the mono sound /track pulse head assembly.
If you look to the back you will see a rectangular slot and a mark that will give you it's position. It's normally set to near or dead centre. Two screws either side need slightly loosening.
As for needing a oscilloscope. I' hav'nt got one or never used one. Yes some might say makes things tricky, but when you are used to seeing things perfectly set up you know when it's right or not and I am pretty fussy in that area too. I also have Beta machines perfectly set up so use those recordings to make sure things are A1.A alignment tape is also handy but not always needed.
What will benefit you is a tape you KNOW is well set up on it's recording. Use that as a guide. Set your tracking to dead centre then with a suitable screwdriver or small object very gently slide this assembly left and right until the picture it perfectly clear.
Then turn to the tracking all the way left and right slowly. When you have it so there is virtually no picture disturbance/noise (or very little ) to either extreme you are about right. You can also record something and play it back in another beta. The picture should need no adjusting on that vcr when it's outer tracking control is centralised either. Do that same test with playback and tracking to extremes on that one. So long as the centralised playback is clear then I wouldn't be over concerned with some noise at one extreme on some, but if you get it near clear at all ranges, all the better.
Also as yours is the HF100 check the Beta Hi-Fi range too.
It should be the same as with the picture. The Hi-Fi sound on it's own recordings, if those heads are good, shouldn't drop out unless at either extreme. Even better if not at all.
Remember too when moving that head assembly ,tiny amounts make huge differences. If you start in the middle you won't be that far off. It's just fine tuning to get rid of said noise.

......Kevin

Last edited by Sanbeta; 16th Nov 2018 at 9:38 pm.
Old 16th Nov 2018, 9:59 pm   #4
Snarf81
Heptode

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

The head I want to take out of the 'working' machine has been 'got at', the factory green sealant has been broken on both sides of the head and there's evidence of the adjustment screws being messed with, also the small screw on top of the actual head has been tinkered with too.

I just want to take the head from my scrap vcr which hasn't been messed with and put it straight into the 'working' vcr, but I can't see how to remove the entire head assembly without disturbing all of the factory settings. Is there any way it can be removed in one piece but still keeping the alignment of it intact?

Thanks again
Richard.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 4:01 pm   #5
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi Richard.
Why do you want to remove the ACE head? This is normally required only if it needs replacement. If you do so, it will then need adjustment using an alignment tape and a scope. When I adjust tracking pots on VCRs, I use multiple tapes from different machines until I get perfect playback on all tapes, and a 6KHz tone for the azimuth adjustment.

Fivos
Old 17th Nov 2018, 7:22 pm   #6
Sanbeta
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: Sony SL-HF100UB Beta hifi vcr restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf81 View Post
The head I want to take out of the 'working' machine has been 'got at', the factory green sealant has been broken on both sides of the head and there's evidence of the adjustment screws being messed with, also the small screw on top of the actual head has been tinkered with too.

I just want to take the head from my scrap vcr which hasn't been messed with and put it straight into the 'working' vcr, but I can't see how to remove the entire head assembly without disturbing all of the factory settings. Is there any way it can be removed in one piece but still keeping the alignment of it intact?
Richard.
No I'm afraid is the answer as you have to unscrew this and unplug it from the machine first.
What is the issue with the one that's been 'got at'. The other owner obviously felt that that assembly was causing some problem.
If you follow my and Fivo's tips you should be able to see if it's still OK, even though not locked in place from the factory.

let me know........................Kevin
Old 17th Nov 2018, 8:37 pm   #7
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi both.
Thanks for the replies.

I'll take some photos of it tomorrow and you can see what I'm talking about.
You can clearly see that the screws around the head have been got at as they are rough looking. If I can recall, the tape gets damaged as its playing past the head. Pinch roller is new so I know it's not that. The picture is all out as is the hifi.

I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow and you can take a look.

Thanks again

Richard.
Closed Thread