UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2018, 8:56 pm   #1
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default Heathkit OS1 scope voltages

I have a Heathkit OS1 scope with a sick mains transformer. I have the construction manual and circuit.
Does anyone have the HT and EHT voltages to aid in rewinding the transformer?
This is a future project, with luck it will eventually get to the top of the pile.
Old 16th Nov 2018, 9:56 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Heathkit OS1 scope voltages

Trevor, long ago (~1980) I had two of these (?) scopes taken from a skip.
Attached is a circuit diagram; I have a better copy, but it exceeds the file size limit. Do these look right? Somewhere, I may have a transformer.

B
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Heathkitscope.pdf (98.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 16th Nov 2018, 10:13 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Trevor, mail me when you get round to doing this and I'll see if I have a used /tested transformer that will do in my collection. Is there much space in the chassis for a larger transformer?

Ed
Old 16th Nov 2018, 10:16 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

That circuit is for a more sophisticated Heathkit scope. It's from an O-12, which was sold as a 'lab' scope as far as I remember.

Ron
Old 17th Nov 2018, 5:28 pm   #5
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

I have these two, which I think are the right scope. I'm afraid there are still no voltages shown.

Colin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	os-1_a.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	172987   Click image for larger version

Name:	os-1_b.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	172988  
Old 17th Nov 2018, 6:57 pm   #6
wd40addict
Octode

Page 27 of the manual gives 235Vac on the rectifier anodes and -700Vdc on CRT pin 8 (depending on brightness). No Vac into the stick, but Ed may be able to estimate this!
Old 17th Nov 2018, 8:07 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, it is possibly a 250-0-250 for main Ht then a 350v overwind on one of the rect anode windings as the loading will only be low.

It would be possible to configure a voltage multiplier (tripler?) from one of the rect anodes.

Ed
Old 17th Nov 2018, 9:04 pm   #8
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I once had a TQ D43 with the highest voltage winding of the transformer open circuit.I did exactly what Ed suggests and made up a multiplier (quintupler?) which worked perfectly. I had a willing customer who knew the score, and got a good working calibrated scope at a price he could afford. 35 years ago, I wonder if he still has it?
Les.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 9:13 pm   #9
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
Page 27 of the manual gives 235Vac on the rectifier anodes and -700Vdc on CRT pin 8 (depending on brightness). No Vac into the stick, but Ed may be able to estimate this!
If you look at this page:
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/198/3/3AFP1.pdf
you will see that the maximum final anode voltage for the 3AFP1 crt is 1.0 kV. There is some more data on the crt, too. I hope it helps.
Colin.
Old 18th Nov 2018, 1:07 am   #10
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the information. I will put it to one side for a time and will rewind a simple battery charger as my first mains transformer I have wound coils for geetah pick ups, 30000 turns for a slave clock solenoid and a few hundred turns for a low tension ignition coil (1900 Mercedes engine).
The transformer has the flu as it is sweating so will not give correct voltages. I do not think that a couple of paracetamol will help. More investigation needed.
It is just an idea at the moment, I thought I might get rid of the primary taps, use a single 250V winding with a coule of diodes to make a bridge and use a separate winding doubled for the EHT, thus balancing the series capacitors. No taps should be easier to make.
Closed Thread