UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2018, 10:26 pm   #1
dryjoint
Tetrode

Default Ferguson 621U

Hi good people of vintge radio land,
Just wanted some experienced advice please regarding a Ferguson 621U with a mechanical tuning problem which I reckon is very common. The issue is that the tuning cursor can be moved up the scale but rotating the tuning knob will not bring it back down again.
I put this down to the grease on the bearings of the tuning capacitor becoming more viscose over the years, rather than the cord stretching etc. The cap does feel quite stiff when rotating it directly by hand.
Any recommendations as to what's best to re-lube this please - if indeed this is the problem?
I've got two of these sets (one a project "yet to be done" although I doubt it will be) and both have the same issue.

Thanks
Old 9th Nov 2018, 10:39 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Ferguson 621U

A few drops of light machine oil such as 3 in one is what I usually apply to the TC bearings. Even if they are totally gunged that should loosen the existing grease to give you an indication if that is the problem. Slipping tuning cords are very common and there are quite a few old threads here on the topic. Light application of beeswax to the cord can often help. If there is not much tension in the cord then re-tensioning or replacing the cord might be necessary. I'm not familiar with this particular set but if there is not a diagram on the service sheet then photograph or sketch out the cord routing before you start fiddling because if disaster strikes and the cord breaks replacement is then that much easier.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 11:27 pm   #3
dryjoint
Tetrode

Thanks cathoderay57, I'll give that a try. the cord seems OK and the tension is not too loose, but I'll give the 3 in 1 a go.
It used to work well on my push-bike!
Old 10th Nov 2018, 12:42 pm   #4
Kentode
Octode

You might like to purchase the manufacturers service sheets available up top.

I've just looked and you might like to confirm that yours is correctly strung and has not been tampered with.

BVWS member
Old 10th Nov 2018, 9:22 pm   #5
dryjoint
Tetrode

Thanks Kentode. I've got the BVWS discs "somewhere safe" so I'll try and remember where that somewhere is and have a nosey through.
One of my sets belonged to my grandmother and was bought for her by my parents in the mid-to-late 50s. A nice memento.
Closed Thread