UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2009, 12:31 pm   #1
Keith
Heptode

Default AR88LF - possible AGC problem?

I've recently electrically refurbished an AR88LF, including re-stuffing all the bathtub capacitors, replacement of out of spec high value resistors, etc. Although the receiver now performs well on the higher bands, it suffers from distorted audio when tuned to Droitwich on a long wire aerial. Also the S Meter reads low. Both symptoms point to inadequate AGC, although all the AGC components (including the 6H6 itself) have been checked and replaced where necessary.

The AGC voltage reaches a maximum of ~-7V (measured with a X10 Scope probe to minimise loading) with the RF gain at maximum. I think I can seen the distortion at the grid of IF3 so it seems to be occurring prior to the detector. Can anyone tell me if I should be getting more AGC volts or suggest any other lines of investigation?

Keith
http://tibblestone.users.btopenworld.com/AR88.htm
Old 27th Jul 2009, 7:21 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: AR88LF - possible AGC problem?

Please bear with me Keith if what follows is inappropriate on account of your investigations, but could this not be normal? Droitwich willl put in a strong signal at your location with the aerial that you are using, and it may be that its level at the aerial socket is simply outside the range that the AGC can cope with. Does turning down the RF gain control help?

I assume that the AR88LF uses delayed AGC. Is the delay potential excessive? If it is, there could be differential distortion * taking place, caused by variable damping of the AGC diode input cct. leading to this distortion, on account of the diode bias line cutting the modulation envelope. When a powerful and high %-age AM signal like Droitwich is received, this is a real possibility.
(* Reference: Radio Designer's Handbook, Langford-Smith, 4th. Ed., pp. 1106 - 1107)

Al. / Skywave
Old 27th Jul 2009, 8:58 pm   #3
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: AR88LF - possible AGC problem?

Hi

My AR88D suffered from a similar thing. It would distort on strong signals unless I backed the RF gain right off. It turned out to be leaky capacitors. sorry - i can't remember which ones, but i think it was related to the AGC. One was partucularly leaky and was responsible for most of the distortion, but i changed a few others as well. just have a look round the circuit and you'll no doubt spot the likely culprits.

Regards

Aub
Old 27th Jul 2009, 10:58 pm   #4
Keith
Heptode

Thanks Al, I'm beginning to suspect you may be right. At first I thought that reducing the RF gain was not reducing the distortion, but I think that some of this is actually in the audio stage (which I also need to investigate). Certainly, significantly attenuating the aerial input restores a clean signal. I'm not particularly concerned by the problem as I don't usually use the RX for Radio 4. I just wondered whether there was an AGC problem which was also causing the low reading S-meter.

I don't believe the S-meter is original (which I believe was calibrated in dB above 1uV), although it is a backwards reading 5mA movement. I would have liked to have at least got a correct reading at S9 but a calibrated 50uV carrier produces only about one third FSD (corresponding to about S6.5 on the dial). It's a pretty crude circuit with little opportunity for adjustment so perhaps I'm expecting too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	27480  
Old 28th Jul 2009, 9:19 am   #5
Keith
Heptode

Hi Aub,

Haven't heard you on 3615 for a while! I've checked/replaced all the AGC capacitors/resistors so maybe it's working as well as it was designed to.

Old 28th Jul 2009, 12:33 pm   #6
Aub
Nonode

Hi keith,

Nice to work you in cyberspace!

Forgot to mention that my s meter was reading low as well. it now reads higher, but i suspect still not as high as it should. havent tried adjusting the trimpot thing on the back yet.

73's

aub
Old 28th Jul 2009, 1:45 pm   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: AR88LF - possible AGC problem?

Keith - the cct. diag. that you have included in Post #4 is difficult to analyse on account of its style of layout; yes, I appreciate it may be all that you have available. However, do you - or anyone else here - have a more traditional style drawing of the AGC cct. only as in an AR88? Such a drawing would make it far easier to make suggestions as to what could be adrift.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 28th Jul 2009, 5:01 pm   #8
Keith
Heptode

Al - You're quite right. The circuit I included doesnt show how the AGC is derived - I only included it to show the "tuning meter". The complete circuit may be of more use, but I can't upload it as it's too big. However it can be found on the VMARS site at:

http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archiv..._EMER_E722.pdf

Keith
Old 29th Jul 2009, 11:50 am   #9
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: AR88LF - possible AGC problem?

Thank you, Keith: I'll have a "look-see".

Al.
Closed Thread