UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2009, 10:46 am   #1
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Default Wireless set number 19

I've recently acquired a No 19 set Mk3. It seems complete (except for a missing EF50). It hasn't got the B set and the front panel cutouts haven't been cut out, so it obviously never had one. Years ago I had one of these and got it working with the help of a set of articles reprinted from Practical Wireless, entitled something like (IIRC) "Modifying the 19 set for amateur use" I think the articles were originally in PW in 1958 or 59. Does anyone have copy I could borrow, please? Rotary Power Supply Units for these sets now seem pretty much impossible to find, so I'll have to build a mains PSU - once again, any ideas? I'm currently at home recovering from a hand operation so can't do anything practical for a couple of weeks (not even washing up!), so it's a good time to catch up on some reading. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Terry
Old 17th Jul 2009, 11:18 am   #2
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Wireless set number 19

Hi Terry,

I have a complete station that I bought last year from the US. I must say I would not advise modfying it as these sets fetch a handsome price. The military vehicle community use these extensively so there is always a buyer.

If you look around carefully it would not take long to find the connectors and PSU to get it to work originally, you may have to pay but since you have some time available it might be worth putting a station together.

A full station in working condition and good cosmetics can fetch as much as £600.

If your set is blue coloured it may be a refurbished unit from the 50's , the MOD reworked a load of sets with Russian labelling ( due to the cold war)and removed the B sets.

Mike
Old 17th Jul 2009, 11:24 am   #3
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Try http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/
Alan
Old 17th Jul 2009, 11:42 am   #4
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Hi Mike
Thanks for your quick reply.The front panel on my set is a sort of bluish-grey colour (my colour perception isn't perfect, but that's how I'd describe it.) The cutouts for the B set Aerial socket and other controls are visible as circles on the panel, and the slot for the tuning control is filled in by a plate rivetted in place. I can't open the case at present 'cos of my hand being heavily bandaged, but as far as I recall, the valveholder holes for the B set valves aren't cut out either, so it does look as though it never had a Bset fitted. I shall take your advice and try to find a Rotary PSU (I have the 12 pin to 12 pin short "dog bone" connector) and a control box. The Flick mechanism on the PA tuning contol isn't working properly either, but that looks like a major strip down job to get at it. Out of the question until my hand's better. I would like to restore it to full working order, as a 19 set was my first short wave receiver way back in 1963. I had 3 at one time, why oh why did I let dad take them to the tip while I went off to university! Oh the folly of youth! I shall take better care of this one, despite what my family think. I seem to remeber that all the valves were fitted with screening cans - mine are missing. Is this likely to be a problem? If so, I shall have to brush up my tinplate bending skills.
Cheers
Terry
Old 17th Jul 2009, 12:27 pm   #5
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Way back, I used to dismantle these for a couple of the surplus dealers, and bought several (at £1 each) plus loads of spares. The sets were sold at the time, as were most of the spares, but I might still have one of the original rotary converters, and some other bits and pieces.
Now, having it and finding where it is hidden, are, in my case, two different things, but if you want one, or any parts, I can certainly keep my eyes open when delving into the
"archives".
Old 17th Jul 2009, 2:14 pm   #6
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Hi Alan
I'd certainly be interested, if you find one. The Mark 3 set apparently needs the Mark3 PSU - it has 2 rotary generators, one for HT1 at about 275v and one for HT2 at around 500-550 volts. Please let me know if you find anything. I could do with the PSU and a control box to plug the mic/phones into. If you find anything else of relevance, I'd probably be interested in that too.
Many thanks
Terry