UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2009, 12:15 am   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Realistic DX160: bad osc. tracking

Not my usual type of comms. radio, but it came my way cheap; I've always been interested in evaluating the performance of these 'entry-level' comms. receivers; and it makes a change from the traditional valved comms. radios that I usually tinker with.

On first inspection, it does 'work' - sort of . A quick listen round on band C (1.8 to 4.0 MHz approx.) soon told me that things weren't right here. A quick check with the sig. gen. confirmed this - sensitivity was way down. (The sensitivity on the other bands seems about right; the IF is 455 kHz and is 'on the nose'). The reason turns out to be bad osc. tracking on this range. The osc. is a Hartley (FET), adjustable ferrite core in the coil with the usual trimmer & fixed padder: 1000pF 'suflex' type; it measures 900 pF on test.

Assuming that the osc. is on the 'high side', (confirmed by testing the other ranges), when the LF end of the osc. is about right (coil core adjustment), the HF end of the osc. is about 700 Khz too low - even with the osc. coil trimmer right out. That is a large error for a RF tuning range of 1.8 to 4.0 MHz (approx.). Experimenting with the value of the padder (including replacing it with one of the original value) doesn't 'help enough' - but I can't see any other osc. components that exist for this range only that are frequency dependent. Overall, it's just got that feel of 'too much capacity' in the osc. on this range only; strange.

So, anyone else here familiar with this box of tricks - and its idiosyncracies?

Al. / Skywave.
Old 27th Jun 2009, 8:59 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Realistic DX160: bad osc. tracking

You might get some help here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/realisticdx/ if you haven't already found it......

Chris
Old 27th Jun 2009, 9:17 am   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Realistic DX160: bad osc. tracking

Thank you, Chris - I hadn't spotted that.

Al.
Old 1st Jul 2009, 10:30 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Realistic DX160: bad osc. tracking

Interim report.

Progress is being made - there is light at the end of the tunnel - but it's been an uphill struggle. Since I've never seen one of these radios featured on this Forum before, I will make my concluding report in the Success Stories section of this Forum; see you there.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 10:56 am   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Realistic DX160: bad osc. tracking

This repair is now complete.
The work is now detailed in the 'Success Stories' section of the Forum.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 12:10 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Realistic DX160: bad osc. tracking

Re: the above; this Thread can now be closed.

Al.
Closed Thread