UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2018, 9:02 am   #1
Bobdger
Hexode

Default Tonight's television

I was in our loft removing the old Galv steel heating pipes so that I could install a new copper heating ring and drops to each room.(we live in a bungalow with solid floors). Wrapped around these pipes was a type of woollen felt this was kept in position by string tye wrapping the same way looms were done before plastic cable ties. Under this layer was wrapped news papers most of these were still readable and dated from when the bungalow was built September 1954 Mike Banister had just ran the 4 min mile was one of the stories. Lots of interesting reading for a later date. the television times was from the Daily Mirror Tue Sept 21 1954.

Bob.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV TIMES 21.09.54.pdf (548.2 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by Bobdger; 13th Nov 2018 at 9:07 am. Reason: Re adding picture
Old 13th Nov 2018, 9:05 am   #2
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Re: Tonights television

I'll bet there was more to watch than these days of dozens of channels. We don't even turn ours on some days!

John
Old 13th Nov 2018, 9:12 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Our house was built in 1950, and last year I decided to drop an ethernet cable down the redundant chimney in the living room so that I could do away with my flakey powerline adapter connection to our YouView box. I climbed up onto the flat roof, tied a big spanner to the end of the cable, and lowered it down the chimney. It went most of the way down then met resistance and I had to bounce it up and down a few times to dislodge the obstruction.

Not a dead bird, fortunately, but a mass of 1958 newspaper which had been scrunched-up and rammed into the opening, presumably to stop draughts. It was very yellowed and brittle but still entirely legible.

Nick.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 9:14 am   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Mike Bannister?
Sir Roger Gilbert Bannister CH CBE
Old 13th Nov 2018, 9:16 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdger View Post
Mike Banister had just ran the 4 min mile was one of the stories.
Surely, it was Roger Bannister who ran the first sub-four-minute mile in May 1954.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 9:32 am   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

At 7:55pm Midsommarvaka, I wonder if that was a programme with a full orchestra or an “Interlude”?

Can’t see today’s channels getting away with an interlude, or or perhaps thats what the adverts are for to give us time to put the kettle on.

Also intrigued by the 9pm programme, Medical Officer of Health” was that a drama or a public information programme?
Old 13th Nov 2018, 9:41 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

If they put on an old-style interlude nowadays, it's viewing figures might embarrass the rest of their output

David
Old 13th Nov 2018, 9:46 am   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Correct ,it was indeed Roger Bannister who broke the four minute mile.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 9:58 am   #9
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
If they put on an old-style interlude nowadays, it's viewing figures might embarrass the rest of their output
That’s set me up for the day, thank you.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 10:06 am   #10
simpsons
Octode

Thank goodness for ITV and Radio Luxemburg.

As a child there was a huge gap between listening to Radio Luxembourg's Dan Dare and BBC's radio children's output. So much so, I can't recall anything significant. In fact it was the reception of Radio Luxembourg on my DAF96 home made radio which sparked my interest in this hobby. The glowing filament, oh happy days.

Similarly on television, it was Thedee Lone Ranger and maybe other ITV programmes which would make me watch anything at all. The only exception was Quatermass and the Pitt. As for Mantovani and his Orchestra, that was a no no, but Billy Cotton made for Saturday night family viewing with the Black and White Minstrels second best. Both probably because people were moving across the screen rather than sitting down and telling the viewer how he or she should go to church, vote or cook. Blimey what was the last one?

Otherwise I was outside, playing in the street or fields where we lived and getting into trouble. In doors, making something out of Meccano or re-arranging the model railway.

In many ways, nothing's changed, I am still getting into trouble and look forward to seeing the glowing filament now surrounded by a cathode!

Chris

Last edited by simpsons; 13th Nov 2018 at 10:08 am. Reason: valve data error
Old 13th Nov 2018, 10:26 am   #11
elanman99
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I dont know what the viewing figures were but a couple of years ago I watched a 2 hour long, 'Slow TV' programme that showed little else than the view seen by the rider of a reindeer drawn sleigh as it travelled through snow covered Lapland. No commentary and little action but absolutely captivating and I even paused it when I made a cup of tea.

Ian P
Old 13th Nov 2018, 10:59 am   #12
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Can’t see today’s channels getting away with an interlude, or or perhaps thats what the adverts are for to give us time to put the kettle on.
On the other hand, a lot of radio channels are still broadcasting "Records".
Old 13th Nov 2018, 11:12 am   #13
Nuvistor
Dekatron

True but unless I there is a particular topic on the radio, the music stations for me tend to be background while doing something else.
Television on the other hand is something I will take time to watch, I don’t use it as a background, it’s turned off when the programme ends. Perhaps why some days it’s not switched on.
Perhaps I am in the minority using Television like this.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 11:19 am   #14
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanman99 View Post
I dont know what the viewing figures were but a couple of years ago I watched a 2 hour long, 'Slow TV' programme that showed little else than the view seen by the rider of a reindeer drawn sleigh as it travelled through snow covered Lapland. No commentary and little action but absolutely captivating and I even paused it when I made a cup of tea.
That reminds me of the early days of Satellite TV Channels.
There was a channel called The Landscape channel which basically broadcast views and scenes all day.

I often just left it on and watched as I was doing things.
Very much doubt it would work nowadays if ever.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 11:36 am   #15
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Tonight's television

That was brilliant The Landscape Channel and I think some where I may have a VHS copy I did.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 12:00 pm   #16
Refugee
Dekatron

If I had another TV I would make sure it did not have a built in receiver because I gave up off air TV some years ago.
A pushbike and a helmet cam would be fine for the images.
I could make a day of footage within a week or so because there are plenty of cycle tracks and old railways.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 12:25 pm   #17
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Didn’t Channel 4 have something similar called “The Art of Landscape” broadcast in the morning, around 0600?
Old 13th Nov 2018, 12:40 pm   #18
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Hold on,is this what I remember? Must admit I do not remember it on Sky TV.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 12:42 pm   #19
David G4EBT
Dekatron

That newspaper clipping took me back 54 years - I started work aged 15 on 1 September 1954.

What a contrast that era was with today in all sorts of ways.

It wasn't until 4 July 1954 that meat and all other food rationing ended in Britain.

If you look at the Radio programmes listed on that newspaper cutting, you'll see that on the so called 'light' programme, it was a constant round of orchestras and dance bands, punctuated by 'Mrs Dales Diary' and 'The Archers'. I grew up in inner city Nottigham (St Annes) - few families had TVs (mostly rented) for the Queen's Coronation in 1953. A glance at the TV programme offerings listed in the cutting would hardly inspire the average family to rush out and rent one, even if their budget would run to it, which ours wouldn't - it wasn't until 1960 that we rented a Redifusion TV.

That TV had the main radio programmes on it too, so provided an opportunity to get rid of the redundant DAC90A, which was a drab reminder of an austere era, and for that reason, remains my least favourite radio. I put it out for the bin-men, but like most of here, I've since ended up with a couple of them as they're so commonplace, given that hundreds of thousands were out on rental throughout the 50s.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 12:57 pm   #20
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I used to listen to 'Mrs Dale's Diary' (or Dairy as we used to call it) as a youngster in the 50s/60s. When did it cease?

Andy
Closed Thread