UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2009, 2:10 pm   #1
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default Please help to identify headset.

Chaps,

I have an unusual mic/ headset that I’m trying to identify.

On the headset there is a small plate which says – Mic & rec headgear assy No 17 YA 8384. There is some sort of coincidence here because headset 17 is for a 62 set and is ZA 8384. I’ve never seen a headset No 17 and no one else I know has. Most times the WS62 uses a No 10 like the 19 set does. This one is quite different and has a throat microphone just like a WS38 No 2 low level, brown flecked braided cable, a male snatch plug like a WS19 and loose RAF AM earpieces, 10A/ 13466 that go into a flying helmet, like this one. http://www.historicflyingclothing.co...item.php?id=31 There is no PTT either but looking at page 28 in WFTW WS62 section there is reference to the 62 being used in Auster and Beaver aircraft and a remote PTT is mentioned.

Could it be a headset for a airborne 62 set or something else, in an aircraft. Has anyone any experience of these? It’s brand new and in a box, it's not someone’s mod idea. I suspect there could be a GPO connection from the box it was in and research I’ve done so far.

Any ideas or help gratefully received.

Jim G4XWD
Old 26th Jul 2009, 4:52 pm   #2
Stockden
Heptode

Default Re: Please help to identify headset.

Jim,

I have never seen a headset like this but I can confirm that the WS62 was fitted to Auster aircraft in their Air OP role. I have sat in an Auster fitted for the 62 set but without the equipment in place - just a big hole in the "dashboard". Sadly I can't remember anything about the PTT or headgear arrangements.

Hugh
Closed Thread