UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2009, 3:14 pm   #1
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Eagle K110 SWR meter

Does anyone have any information on this please.

Brochure, copy of advert, or similar would be ideal.
Old 10th Jul 2009, 5:31 pm   #2
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: Eagle K110 SWR meter

A picture would help as it might give some idea of its complexity. SWR meters are normally pretty basic but some, like the attached photo, can be a bit more complex. Les
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trio swr meter0002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	27109  
Old 10th Jul 2009, 7:32 pm   #3
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

I really just need the frequency range, and basics like that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swr11.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	27110  
Old 10th Jul 2009, 9:19 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

What connectors does it have? UHF (SO239)? From the general appearance I should think it's relatively low power and HF only.

Can you tickle it with 10 watts or so into a dummy load to see roughly how the adjustment sensitivity feels?
Old 10th Jul 2009, 9:28 pm   #5
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Yes, it is UHF connectors, but a lot of Japanese equipment used them for 2 metres.

The construction looks "VHF", but the power is shown as 16 watts maximum.
Was it for HF, or CB, or for 2 metres?

I dont have an HF Tx to hand, and it wont read off any of the signal generators I have.

Also, it isnt in the 80-81 Eagle catalogue, but someone must know it or have an advert for it somewhere. I hope!
Old 10th Jul 2009, 10:40 pm   #6
Top Cap
Octode

Hi Alan, you may be able to get some idea by its construction. If it contains lines in a screened enclosure (as attached picture) then you may be able to use it up to 200MHz. But if the construction is for example printed circuit lines then it may have been designed for CB radio. The only real way of testing is by using a non inductive 50 Ohm load on the antenna end and feeding it via a suitable instrument to measure its miss-match at higher frequencies. A network analyser would be nice if you know anyone who has access to one.
However I have built some in the past and just used a suitable dummy load on its own, making the assumption that the bridge should give maximum forward but minimum reflected indications on the meter. The acid test then is to reverse everything, placing the load on the transmitter port and injecting a carrier into the antenna port. If the bridge is good, you will see identical results but they will be reversed, i.e. maximum reflected and minimum forward indications. I have checked out some of the meters being offered on the internet but it was not much help, some SWR meters had a top wack of 27MHz while others went to 200MHz, so I think the construction inside may give you a good starting point.
Les
P.S. The power limit of 16 Watts does seem to indicate CB usage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swr lines.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	27118  
Old 11th Jul 2009, 5:54 am   #7
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

It appears to be a fairly standard trough-line construction, hence my comment that it "looks VHF".

However, comparing it to two other meters, one home brew that I made some 30+ years ago and an Avair, it is very innacurate at 2 metres both regarding output power and SWR.

Without major dismantling, it is hard to see all the insides, so there could well be some crucial feature that isnt obvious, so my assumption about VHF, could be wrong.
There is, after all, no reason why that same construction couldnt be used for HF, with some critical part not being visible.

Hence, seeing an advert for it would give the answers.
Closed Thread