UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2009, 9:46 am   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default Mystery Hammarlund 1931?

I had this Hammarlund in over the weekend just to check it over. There seems to be very little information available on it. It came with a set of ten plug-in coils, each with a five pin base but there was nowhere on the chassis to plug them in. The set had a few missing valves so it was impractical to test much other than safe warm-up conditions. Anyone know anything about this set? It has gone back to its owner now, but it would be nice to know what it was.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ham1.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	26794   Click image for larger version

Name:	ham2.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	26795  
Old 29th Jun 2009, 12:13 pm   #2
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Mystery Hammarlund 1931?

Neill,

It is a Hammarlund Comet-pro, 1932 - 35 general coverage receiver. I have some informnation on it tucked away, I will search for it and comeback to you.

The Hammarlund kit is much prized in the States , falls in line with the quality of Collins.

Mike
Old 29th Jun 2009, 2:23 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

Thanks Mike, I'll pass this info on to the owner,
Neil
Old 29th Jun 2009, 2:25 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Mystery Hammarlund 1931?

Indeed, Michael.

Way back in the late '60's, I once had a few days play with an HQ-180X; belonged to a friend. The performance was truly impressive; never forgotten. A real engineers' machine.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 29th Jun 2009, 4:21 pm   #5
Brased
Hexode

The coils are in pairs and plug into sockets under the two aluminium cans in the centre of the chassis. I have one of these receivers but unfortunately only have one set of coils. I was able to find the instruction manual which contains circuit, etc., on the internet.

Edward
Old 29th Jun 2009, 6:26 pm   #6
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Neil
I have dug out the copies of the manuals that I have , I downloaded these a few years ago from the BAMA site. I checked and they are still there free of course.

As Brased pointed out there are two coils per band and coils were available from about 1.2Mhz through to 20Mhz covergae each set having a band spread of 2:1.

In its time it was very well thought of and used commercially. A prize for any communications receiver collection.

Regards
Mike
Old 30th Jun 2009, 9:18 am   #7
newlite4
Octode

Thanks everyone for your replies. I wonder if the original cabinet (if it had one) had doors in the top surface so that the coils could be freely changed. Possibly, a bit like the number 12 set that had this arrangement to enable valve swaps in the field. It makes the HRO coil swap seem positively straightforward.
Neil
Old 30th Jun 2009, 9:35 am   #8
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Neil,

It was quite common in the early days , certainly for commercial use that the radio gear was housed in Rack Mount cabinets. However I can confirm that the unit did have a lid for allowing the changing of the coils, very similar to the HRO case in fact which even though uses plug in colis from the front also has a lid for changing valves and day to day servicing.

Mike
Closed Thread