UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2018, 10:20 pm   #1
John_BS
Octode

Default Pye Sunset radio: advice please

A friend died recently and his widow wishes to sell a PYE Sunset radio, proceeds to charity. As we're not allowed to offer things without a price attached, could someone please give a generous estimate as to a reasonable price to ask?
I have been sent photos and it appears to be in untouched original condition, and the tuning dial can be moved. Collection from the Guildford area.
Many thanks
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10434.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	161420   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10435.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	161421   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10437.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	161422   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10445.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	161423  
Old 19th Apr 2018, 11:40 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Sunset radio: advice please

Looking at some selling prices of Pye rising sun models lately quite surprised me, as to how well they've held up: the only recently sold MM I could find went for £199, cosmetically tidier than this one but with a spot of rust inside. I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting something in the £80 - £120 range, which I admit is about twice what I had in mind before looking at those recent results. Seems a while since I last revised upwards my estimate of the current value of a 1930s radio...

Paul
Old 20th Apr 2018, 9:02 am   #3
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_BS View Post
A friend died recently and his widow wishes to sell a PYE Sunset radio, proceeds to charity. As we're not allowed to offer things without a price attached, could someone please give a generous estimate as to a reasonable price to ask?
Forum rules state, 'The only exception to the exact price rule is if all the proceeds are to be donated to charity. In this case the name of the charity must be clearly stated and the buyer expected to pay by cheque written directly to the charity.'
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:34 pm   #4
John_BS
Octode

Thankyou both for your help & guidance.

John
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 6:21 pm   #5
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
I bought one in better condition on ebay, collection only, from Wokingham (not far from Guildford) about four years ago for £35.
At BVWS auctions recently they go for about £40 in good condition.
If you are prepared to send it abroad on ebay you might get the £100 plus but run the risks of sending it abroad and it "not arriving".
Yours needs a new speaker cloth and the finish is rather mottled but otherwise seems quite good.
Yours, Richard
Closed Thread