UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 18th Apr 2018, 12:01 am   #21
jamesperrett
Heptode

Default Re: Big Band records - plummy sound

Does anyone else remember a Readers Digest flexidisc promoting a box set of re-recorded big band songs? The whole disc consisted of comparisons between the originals and the better sounding re-recordings.
jamesperrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2018, 2:05 am   #22
usradcoll1
Pentode

I had one of those flexidisc and I thought the sound of this throw-away was rather good for what it was. It still didn't entice me to buy the set, as it wasn't original.
I guess, I'm one of the wealthy persons that bought the CEDAR processed big band CD sets. Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, Harry James and Tommy Dorsey and they do sound excellent.
They're sourced from the Czech republic.
I do listen to them a lot.
usradcoll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2018, 7:02 am   #23
bluepilot
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
Just to add some science attached picture shows the response of the three files under discussion.
Yes, Hylton Lazybones has a weird frequency response. I suspect that doing a new transfer with a decent system would produce much better results.

Here's another Jay Wilbur:
Jay Wilbur, I cover the waterfront
The record is very lacking in bass but the result doesn't sound too bad. I still prefer the Artie Shaw version though.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
bluepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 pm   #24
wd40addict
Heptode

Have added 'I cover' to the attached responses graph. Actually pretty similar to 'Miss Otis' and presumably cut on the same equipment. Considering Rex were one of the second division companies their equipment seems to have been pretty good.

Of the tracks we've analysed the Hylton has the most 'plummy' response, and that's been been deliberately added in the re-mastering.

If Ted Kendall's reading this thread it would be interesting to know his thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Responses2.png
Views:	11
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	161363  
wd40addict is offline   Reply With Quote