UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 13th Apr 2018, 9:56 am   #21
The Philpott
Heptode

Default Re: Old (presumed Dud) CRTs discovered - value?

Can I just say well done for saving these pieces; even down to the bunting, mannequins and misc. there will be a use. Glad to say it all seems rather steampunk-proof, particularly given the nanny state's nervousness about old CRT's.

Should anyone ever visit RAF Elvington (Yorks) I would be interested in their opinion on the mannequins and dioramas in the control tower (which I assume are still there..) Saying more would be giving the game away.

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2018, 8:26 pm   #22
Stuart R
Hexode

Just a quick update from my friend who has removed all the CRTs from the shop.

In addition to the CRM92 we have already seen, he has discovered three more CRM92, two CRM121 and one CRT with a broken neck and no identifying labels.

I'm hoping to get a look at them next week and a colleague at work who plays with vintage TVs may be able to lend me a CRT tester. I better check it can test these Triodes, I gather that not all testers can.

Regards,

SR
Stuart R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2018, 8:25 am   #23
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
a colleague at work who plays with vintage TVs may be able to lend me a CRT tester. I better check it can test these Triodes, I gather that not all testers can.
You are correct, most CRT testers cannot be used on a CRM92. I use either my Avo or Taylor valve testers to check these types.
A simple lead was made up from an octal valve base to connect to the tester to crocodile clips to the CRT pins, the results are quite accurate on the tubes I have tested so far.

If I remember correctly, an external PSU was used to supply the CRT heater.
It should draw 1.4 amps @2v.

Mark
mark pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2018, 12:01 pm   #24
radiomarktv
Tetrode

Just to mark my interest in one of the CRM92 if there's some life in it. This will be going into a Murphy v136 or my EKCO TS88.

One point of caution would be to take care of the tube base especially if it is loose.
Also to protect the tube from damage by storing it in a suitable box.

I read somewhere where a tube had imploded sending glass all over workshop damaging other tubes close by.

Mark.
radiomarktv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2018, 8:24 pm   #25
Stuart R
Hexode

I'll keep the forum updated. I hope to be collecting the remainder of this stash in the coming week then will see if I am able to test in any way. I like "space_charged's" test method but I can't lay my hands on an EHT supply.

Some test results would allow us to suggest a price and start a Parts Offered thread. The main purpose of this thread was to established that there is some interest, which there now is, so these CRTs shouldn't end up down the tip.

'radiomarktv' I'm happy to earmark one CRM92 for you if the Mods and fellow forum members are happy to allow this. I think further expressions of interest should wait until we've decided a price and put these up on the appropriate section.

I've seen a post here on a CRM92 that imploded in storage. I am treating this with a little more respect now. If testing, will probably go for croc clips rather than trying to wiggle an octal valve base on the end.

Regards,

SR.
Stuart R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2018, 8:32 am   #26
Jac
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart R View Post

I've seen a post here on a CRM92 that imploded in storage.
SR.
Old post from Darius:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=5505

Jac
Jac is offline   Reply With Quote