UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2021, 6:09 pm   #41
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Mono versus Stereo reel to reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
Thanks for all the responses from all.

I have come to the conclusion that for my needs a mono machine would suffice. The purpose is to have something for a bit of entertainment - if I find I get into the format in a big way I may look for a better machine.

Following a bit of research I realise that I don't have the cash to pick up a stereo machine - certainly not one that wouldn't need a lot of work doing on it.

I have a machine in my sights that I have spotted for sale online. If that doesn't come off (I am not going to bid very much) I will keep searching.
I get the impression that you still do not know what you really want? You might well find that an early (and they will be) 1/2 track mono machine will cost you the ssme or more as a later Stereo or 1/4 track unit. Also 1/2 track tapes cannot be readily played on s Stereo or 4 track machine. We've done our best to follow and recommend what you think you might want - but do be sure what you are letting yourself in for for, when or if, you do eventually decide.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 7:29 pm   #42
Martin Bush
Octode

I think you are right in part Edward.

Having read what has been said on this thread, and having taken a step back, I am aiming for something similar to the machine I grew up with at home to start with. This is, I admit, partly driven by some personal nostalgia.

If I find I enjoy it I may look for a more professional one in time. This has the potential to be a new interest for me or something that ends up forgotten under the bed.

I've got a lot from this thread and also had some feedback from a member via PM. None of this is wasted on me.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 10:32 pm   #43
Analogue man
Hexode

Actually 1/2 track mono tapes can be played back on 1/4 track mono and stereo machines but not the other way around.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 1:58 pm   #44
Martin Bush
Octode

Just a quick update.

I have purchased a Philips N4308. The cost was almost negligible, but I am certain the deck will need attention so likely to be some additional cost and a bit of a learning experience for me.

If nothing else it will be a bit of fun for me and, if I find I can't get it working, I can at least offer it for parts etc on here.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 2:25 pm   #45
wd40addict
Octode

Probably just Philips' goo to deal with...
Old 6th Dec 2021, 3:46 pm   #46
Martin Bush
Octode

I hope so. Generally speaking I can do the physical tasks, whereas the electronic side is usually a non-starter.

I think there's a thread or two on here about dealing with belt gunk.