UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2017, 8:30 pm   #41
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Having a laugh?

Also seconded Alan

Ed
Old 27th Sep 2017, 8:46 pm   #42
AC/HL
Dekatron

It can be a while before new members posts are moderated. Although this is explained in the automated welcome message, some duly wait, some post more than once, but some appear to give up and may in fact never read the replies. I'm afraid we can't do anything about that. Perhaps some don't like what they read. Advice can be a bit daunting if you don't understand it, and like all on-line communications people think they're anonymous.
Old 27th Sep 2017, 10:56 pm   #43
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
So which way does the voltage flow...
ms- simple answer, from + to -, for engineers. For scientists, it's the other way round as they look at it as electron flow.
It's the same as asking an Engineer for the delay on an RC circuit. Answer is Ohms times Farads. But not to a scientist, who will want to use a long winded exponential formula to arrive at a time a few milli seconds from the engineer.
Old 27th Sep 2017, 11:18 pm   #44
Cobaltblue

Its true that the advice could be daunting if you don't have a whole life in the subject like many of us here but that's still partially the OP's fault for not being up front about their level of experience.

Few of us want to assume that people have no knowledge it could be seen as insulting.

So most try to pitch it at people who have electronic knowledge just not in vintage electronics which seems fair if no other information is given.

I must admit I rarely get involved these days in anything to do with record players or HiFi, that truly is a thankless task

I mean no criticism of the poster but when I read the term "valve rolling" I decided to read no more posts on that thread

Cheers

Mike T
Old 28th Sep 2017, 12:00 am   #45
Oldcodger
Nonode

Problem is that to a newbie, a fault /finding it can be a minefield. Simple lack of volts- it's either start at one end and work through ,or follow the rule of 8, where you split the circuit into half and work forwards/backwards to find the fault. Then there's gain faults, caused by ( usually ) capacitor problems in feedback circuits. or totally dead where the best method is to look at volts across the ( for valves) cathode resistor ,or (transistor) across the emitter resistor.
As I said in #10- it boils down to old engineer training-
HOW does circuit work
Why does it not work.
Solve that and you are almost there.
Old 28th Sep 2017, 8:48 am   #46
Radio Wrangler

We get all sorts. Quite often original posts are much too terse. A proportion of posters assume that one sort of fault can have only one sort of cause and that only one part needs to be changed to restore normal operation....

"My flying saucer crashed on Earth recently. I've changed all the flux-capacitors but I still can't get the reactor to start."

To give genuinely helpful advice, tailored to the recipient; the set has to be identified, the recipient's level of experience has to be gauged and the description of the problem has to be interpreted. Quite often misconceptions and downright folklore have to be overcome.

Get these wrong and there is the possibility of danger to the recipient and further damage to the equipment. Getting them right needs a good flow of information from the enquirer.

It's so good to hear of successful outcomes.
It's very disappointing when someone doesn't bother to post what happened, it's too easy to assume the worst.
It's disappointing when someone vanishes part way through.. was it something I said?

This isn't a commercial group offering a defined service for payment. It's a bunch of loosely associated enthusiasts giving up their own time for free. And it does take people's time.

The most satisfying outcome is when someone not only effects a successful repair, but sticks around and starts on some other equipment!

David
Old 28th Sep 2017, 9:06 am   #47
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
What an interesting read. The title of thread and some of the comments has made me chuckle.
I often feel sorry for today's generation and what they have missed out on. A friend of mine was telling me about his grandson, at 6 years old he can use a tablet, smartphone and all sorts of modern technology, he though hasn't a clue about older things and is disinterested. The thing is why would he be interested? We were all brought up with washing machines and cars so would we be interested in scrubbing boards and horse drawn carts? Somehow I doubt it.
I'm sure we will work out those who are genuine and not time wasters, some like the nostalgia of records because their dad had them or granny, they find a Dansette and come here for help. No doubt there are many that will only ask a few questions, they may give up or heed the advice, it's their prerogative to do either. It's up to us to give the advice in a consistent way with courtesy so that person feels comfortable. It's also a big plus for the forum and members, good publicity through word of mouth never goes wrong.
I do have a sneaky laugh at some questions made by people but this is in all walks of life, we all of course have to start at the beginning.
Old 28th Sep 2017, 11:35 am   #48
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

And, dare I say it, just the very, very rare person who comes on here, pleads being a beginner, asks for step by step instructions in troubleshooting a set, then another, and then another, only for us to find out later that they're all being offered for sale on EBay. No intention to preserve or collect anything!
It does grate a little!
Old 28th Sep 2017, 12:37 pm   #49
Herald1360
Dekatron

The preservation/collection bit just happens after the sale, that's all.

Can't see why there would be any need to hide intentions, though. If anyone can make a profit out of fixing something, good luck to them.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Sep 2017, 12:50 pm   #50

Rather goes with the territory of 'tinternet, disappointing I know. The advantages outweigh the odd "fisher".

Old 28th Sep 2017, 2:30 pm   #51
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
The preservation/collection bit just happens after the sale, that's all.
Except when they're gutted after a failed attempt and replaced with blue-tooth modules. I guess that's a compromise of sorts, though.

And yes, the only time I mind this is when the motive is concealed. It's tantamount to having a workshop angel or a group of workshop angels, all working for nothing for someone else's commercial gain.
Old 28th Sep 2017, 3:33 pm   #52
ionburn
Heptode

Things run full circle!

The way of the world these days for almost all of us (engineers included), is that if we want to find something out with many things we first 'Google it'.

Hence people coming who are ill suited to radio repair. There are those who are really clever and learn fast as well. They just need a foothold.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 10:19 pm   #53
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Despite having to leave the auto trade nearly 20 years ago due to work related injuries I am still asked to this day about how to trace faults, you know the type that many "twiddlers" and "spare part changers" use four or five hours on a fault that often takes me less than a minute to find and correct. Personally I like the feeling of sorting out faults that others have used unusual amounts of time and heaps of spare parts in their futile attempts in trying to locate.

Back to when I was diagnosed with my injuries in the late 1990s and had to cease working as a mechanic I so wanted to teach fault tracing at the local technical college, I was told that I lacked the necessary documentation to teach correctly, knowledge of the subject matter was of little importance it could seem.

I have been told that since I have been away from the trade for so long I was out of touch so to speak, Ohms Law must have changed in the meantime?
Old 4th Oct 2017, 5:24 pm   #54
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
And, dare I say it, just the very, very rare person who comes on here, pleads being a beginner, asks for step by step instructions in troubleshooting a set, then another, and then another, only for us to find out later that they're all being offered for sale on EBay. No intention to preserve or collect anything!
It does grate a little!
We are getting good at spotting these, as well as the people who buy stuff cheaply here then sell it on eBay for more. They don't tend to remain members for long.

We will never spot them all though, so if anyone does become aware of this sort of activity please PM one of the mods (with eBay links and other relevant info) and we will take a look.

This is different to collectors who periodically sell items they no longer want or have room for, we probably all do that from time to time. It is specifically the people who are here to cash in with no real interest in collecting, and who aren't honest and upfront about their activities, that we don't really want here.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 5th Oct 2017, 10:34 am   #55
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I can see that it's difficult Paul. It did seem to coincide with the rise in "Retro" interest but only the "management" gets a fuller picture I suppose. Perhaps it's been both a blessing and the opposite in terms of what followed. There's certainly money in it. Forum members are so generous with their time and knowledge that it's a double edged sword. I think that, in some ways, the fact that new members often seem reluctant or unable to do the basic reading could be more of a problem. On the other hand many who post just simply haven't grasped the different ethos here at first and turn out to be real enthusiasts in the end. This may be evidenced by people saying "be gentle with me" or apologetic, suggesting that they've had a less than welcoming experience elsewhere. That pesky human nature gets in everywhere doesn't it

Dave W
Old 5th Oct 2017, 11:10 am   #56
paulsherwin

As Paul says, the mods take a very dim view of people who try to exploit the generosity of members for financial gain, especially if they make no positive contribution to forum life. Anyone joining the forum and immediately asking for particular parts can expect to be treated with great suspicion unless they make their intentions clear and are prepared to pay the full market price.
Old 5th Oct 2017, 11:57 am   #57
canonman75
No Longer a Member

That may explain why the odd few requests I've made for parts (where I've offered to pay the going rate for them) have been met with complete silence.
Old 5th Oct 2017, 12:09 pm   #58
Station X

Looking at the six requests you made for parts, only two met with complete silence. In one case you got the part you asked for and in another it's possible you got the part you asked for, but the thread didn't reach a conclusion. In the remaining two cases advice was offered.

It's quite possible that no one had the model specific parts you were seeking.

Some members seem to get annoyed when no one responds to their request for repair help, but maybe no one knows the answer?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Oct 2017, 2:24 pm   #59
canonman75
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Looking at the six requests you made for parts, only two met with complete silence. In one case you got the part you asked for and in another it's possible you got the part you asked for, but the thread didn't reach a conclusion. In the remaining two cases advice was offered.

It's quite possible that no one had the model specific parts you were seeking.

Some members seem to get annoyed when no one responds to their request for repair help, but maybe no one knows the answer?
While you're at it, you may as well close all six of those threads, please.
Old 5th Oct 2017, 2:48 pm   #60

Quote:
you may as well close all six of those threads, please
Are threads "auto closed" after six months of inactivity anyway.

Closed Thread