UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2019, 3:57 pm   #21
coopzone
Hexode

Default Re: Bush SW41 - just starting

Thanks for looking everyone, to be honest i would settle for any matching set from roughly the same period. As already pointed out the speaker cloth is not the original design but it is a design used on philco radios from around that period.

Sadly the speaker was never the original one, it had an oval shaped fitted probably from around 1970. My replacement is a little better.

Please have a rummage in your bags and boxes folks. I feel like the rag and bone man, any old knobs!

Derek
Old 5th Aug 2019, 4:25 pm   #22
coopzone
Hexode

Finished off (well for the time being! Until i decide some other bits need looking at) it's working really well.

In the end i have re-constructed/ repaired the knobs that came with the radio, even though they are not the correct ones, for example one has printed on it "reaction" - so i guess these are from an earlier radio.

The main issue was that they originally had a small grub screw that pushed a small section of sping steel to hold against the shaft. But on all four knobs the screws where either damaged or missing. Only one knob had the sping steel in place and even it was broken.

So i spent a few hours carefully removing what was left of the broken parts, then i used an M3 bolt to re-thread the hole in the knob, finally cutting an M3 bolt to about 5mm in length and slotting the top to act as a new grub screw.

Attached are photos showing one of the knobs being re-threaded to M3 size and the front of the radio with the knobs fitted.

It works and i'm happy with it.

Since the last update i have also;

replaced the asbestos pad on the inside of the case with a heat proof square (science room bunson burner pad)

re-glued the output valve back into it's base - just a bit wobbly!

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_102449.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	187886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	187887  
Old 5th Aug 2019, 7:41 pm   #23
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopzone View Post
re-glued the output valve back into it's base - just a bit wobbly!

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone
...what did you use to glue the valve back into its base? You need something that allows the glass to expand so don't use a 'hard' glue. I find 'Evo Stik' to be one of the better ones since it's an impact adhesive and remains slightly 'rubbery' allowing the glass to expand without cracking. Superglue is definitely not recommended.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 8:07 pm   #24
coopzone
Hexode

Yep I used a contact adhesive, as you say it stays slightly flexible.

I have in the past used cheap resin/hardener based glue - for some repairs, notable i once had a dk96 with a pin that fell out of the glass base! Amazingly it did not break the vacuum . So i soldered the end of the pin back to the bit of wire poking out the glass and then used the glue to hold it in place. The first attempt failed, it fell off again! So i used a a small length of copper earth wire from 5 amp lighting cable. That soldered better and the glue had less work to do. It's still working in an ever-ready battery mains radio.
Closed Thread