UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2017, 11:24 am   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Philips valves?

In another thread where a member was asking for help with a Philips 174 "Radioplayer" which is an Australian market model, I noticed it had an unfamiliar valve line up for a Philips set.

Namely - 6AN7, 6BH5, 6BD7, 2 x 6M5 and 6V4.

Looking at Frank Philipse's valve data web site it appears that these valves were in fact manufactured by Philips.

Did Philips use a different valve numbering system to their European one for the Australian market?
Old 24th Jun 2017, 11:32 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Philips valves?

The Australian radio industry was surprisingly independent and much less influenced by British practice than you might expect. Radios mostly used American rather than European valve types, and indeed the overall technical and cosmetic design owes more to American than European practice.

The 6M5/EL80 is extremely rare in Europe.
Old 24th Jun 2017, 12:00 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

I have just had a look on the radiomuseum site and (with the exception of the 6BH5) they are all listed as having been developed by Philips; they don't indicate a developer for the 6BH5.

On Frank's site all the data sheets are Philips ones except for the 6V4 which lists a Mazda-Belvu sheet and a Brima one.
Old 24th Jun 2017, 5:41 pm   #4
John Caswell
Hexode

I am sure I have seen that a 6V4 can be substituted by an EZ80 without any circuit changes.

John
Old 24th Jun 2017, 6:19 pm   #5
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Yes they are direct equivalents.
Old 24th Jun 2017, 11:23 pm   #6
joebog1
Banned

Australia had a very large and active valve industry.
AWV or Amalgamated Wireless Valve, was the biggest supplier.
Its "construction" was quite interesting.
It had as its major design supplier RCA from USA.
It also had a large helping of Philips and a similar input from Brimar.
Valve quality from AWV was superb, with very few failures.
AWV released a monthly design magazine to the industry only and contained articles from the valve industries best engineers.
For those interested have a look here:
http://frank.pocnet.net/other/AWV_Ra...ics/index.html
I have been trying to find an article printed in the said magazine about 807's, after the release of the Williamson design amplifier. AWV officially uprated the screen voltage to 400, but for the life of me, I cannot find the article.
Anybody that had a Williamson, or has refurbished one will know that the 807's lasted years with screens running full HT.

Joe
Closed Thread