UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2017, 12:07 pm   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC 2015 13" Crystal model

I don't have the circuit diagram to hand in order to determine what type of heater chain voltage dropper is employed. Is a simple resistive dropper or is there a silicon diode inserted in the heater chain? An alternative would be a heater supply transformer if space for one could be found.
I'd imagine the Admiral Playmate was similar in terms of cramped component layout and heat dissipation.

DFWB.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 5:23 pm   #22
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
It's an imported CRT, possibly from the USA.
If the data label shows a 836 source number, it's definitely a US product!
Admiral had their CRT's sourced by National Video in Chicago.
When I first saw the set, I thought, Admiral made the set, but seeing the chassis, it's totally different from our sets.
Admiral did have a plant in Australia, maybe it was built there. Many of the sets built there, had US sourced parts.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 12:56 pm   #23
Focus Diode
Octode

Quote:
I don't have the circuit diagram to hand in order to determine what type of heater chain voltage dropper is employed. Is a simple resistive dropper or is there a silicon diode inserted in the heater chain?
Hi David,

It looks conventional to me, at least from a Thorn point of view. Don't have the large screen equivalent circuit to hand to compare.

Cheers
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170622_12_48_32_Pro.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	144857  
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 4:41 pm   #24
FERNSEH
Dekatron

SR2 the diode heater supply dropper will help to the reduce the heat buildup to a certain extent. Pity they didn't reverse it so that the receiver would present a full wave load across the mains supply. Thorn so did with the 980. A negative heater supply can provide bias for the frame output valve.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 5:46 pm   #25
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
I'd imagine the Admiral Playmate was similar in terms of cramped component layout and heat dissipation.
The Admiral Playmate set used a large PC board, using a mix of 9 pin, dual purpose valves and Compactrons with a 450ma heater chain, with a HT of 140 volts. The LOPT was mounted on the upright like the set shown.
I owned one for a few years and it was very reliable and a great performer.
The US version didn't run as hot and wasn't as cramped.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 6:18 pm   #26
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Of course the Playmate didn't have the problem of having to operate on two different line standards.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 6:41 pm   #27
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

A blast from the past. A lot of these used to have an overheated cabinet back and crinkled cabinet frame
good picture
Closed Thread