UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2017, 7:53 pm   #21
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Re: 12v battery

Thanks Tony.
Old 11th Jun 2017, 10:26 pm   #22
Oldcodger
Nonode

Martin- I'm a disabled scooter user and I find an old style bike hooter works quite well .
Or if that's not loud enough - how about this
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/staccato-e...-sounder-yz03d
Bargin ,I'd say at £1.80. 350 mA - so it's great for a few AA cells.
Old 11th Jun 2017, 11:21 pm   #23
Martin Bush
Octode

For the price I may pick one of those up and give it a go.
Old 17th Jun 2017, 11:31 pm   #24
Biggles
Rest in Peace

A lot of years ago I used to ride my motorbike to work in London and installed a car air horn because I found at least it gave me the satisfaction of seeing a surprised face at the window of the vehicle that had just cut me up/pulled out in front of me. I had the benefit of a 12V bike electrical system already but the air compressor didn't half pull some current. It was just one of those off the shelf horn systems from Halfords if I remember correctly. I found that it was quite effective. I never once had any confrontation from anyone by using it. To ride a motorbike in heavy traffic requires using some really defensive techniques so I would imagine it is even worse on a pushbike. At a guess you would need to use at least a 7AH 12V battery to produce a decent noise from a horn.
Alan.
Old 18th Jun 2017, 12:16 am   #25
The Philpott
Dekatron

The problem with 'normal' car horns is that when they go out of trim (and they do!) they use much more current (and of course make less noise) so the choice of horn is paramount. They exist in a fairly aggressive environment as regards vibration and corrosion (as indeed they would on a bicycle) but generally 8 amps is demanded if they are in good tune.
Old 18th Jun 2017, 12:25 am   #26
paulsherwin

The sounder referenced in #22 seems ideal for Martin's requirements. You could even power it from an alkaline PP3.

As I said earlier, I do have doubts as to whether this will be of much practical use though.
Old 18th Jun 2017, 6:39 am   #27
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Pifco used to market bike horns which were quite loud but ran on two dry cells. You'd have to search a bit to find one today, but there might be a modern eqbuivalent.
Old 18th Jun 2017, 9:14 am   #28
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Although I am not too knowledgeable about electronics I did wonder about many of the points that have subsequently been covered.

The 'make it yourself' pages on the web seem to be far too simple and even I could see how simply getting a few standard batteries and a couple of horns might not work out in the long term.

There is a product that which aims to replicate the car horn, Loud Bicycle I think, but it is costly.

I will continue to rely on my own road sense and that of others for the time being I think.