UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2017, 9:51 am   #1
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cleaning records with PVA Glue - A tip

I only clean records with this type of glue when they are in a bad way and conventional cleaning has failed.

When doing a recent batch however, I found that when dried and I went to remove it, the glue fragmented and it took a great deal of effort and fiddling about to fully remove.

As the glue had been seemingly thicker than usual when being applied, I decided to see if buying some new glue would make a difference.

Well, it made all the difference in the world, as the dried glue easily came off in one piece and left a pristine looking disc behind.

Moral: Always use freshly purchased glue!

Alex
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 12:08 am   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Cleaning records with PVA Glue - A tip

Interesting: makes me wonder if when gluing wooden joints using old PVA produces joints with less strength than when using new adhesive.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Al.
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 3:47 am   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Cleaning records with PVA Glue - A tip

In the days when I worked for Royal Ordnance, all of the paints and adhesives which we used had rigid use-by dates, even when un-opened. It was generally believed that many/most polymeric materials of that kind tend to undergo cross-linking of molecules as they age and so their properties change.

B
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 7:03 am   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It's usually recommended that PVA isn't exposed to frost, so storage conditions clearly affect it.
Cross-linking over time certainly seems likely, as even cooking oil will turn into varnish if left too long!
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 7:16 am   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
as even cooking oil will turn into varnish if left too long!
That is the whole principle behind furniture oil, like Danish and Teak oils. These have oxidation accelerators so that they harden in a day or so. But back before those, furniture makers used linseed and vegetable oils like walnut. Hardening times for a single coat was weeks (bit like cooking oils), and several coats were needed to finish a piece of furniture that way. And that was the driving force behind French Polish, each coat quick drying, and you can finish a piece really quickly (5 or 6 sessions of ten minutes each spread over a day or two)

Craig
Closed Thread