UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:54 am   #21
Scimitar
Heptode

Default Re: radios-tv.co.uk, does it exist?

TOR will overcome that problem for you.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 12:48 pm   #22
Nymrod121
Nonode

Or Opera VPN perhaps ...
Guy
Old 30th Jan 2017, 1:03 pm   #23
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Yes, I thought of a proxy server, not familiar with how to do that, but I'll give it a whirl.

Strangely other secure sites, gov.org, the banking sites etc. are all fine, so It is quite possible that Chris has blanked the 'pines, there are lots of strange spam messages originating from here.

Last year the spam and phishing got so bad here that I used spamitback a few times.
For those who don't know, that program or "app" continually sends the spam message back to the originator till they get sick of it blocking their nasty messages that they take the mailbox off line. Worked like a charm.

Its odd that many UK sites are prohibited abroad, the National (UK) Lottery, BBC Iplayer etc. all verboten.

Last edited by Boater Sam; 30th Jan 2017 at 1:04 pm. Reason: smelling
Old 30th Jan 2017, 1:09 pm   #24
paulsherwin

The iPlayer is geolocked because it is funded by the licence fee, and the national lottery because tickets are only available in the UK.

There is undoubtably a lot of malicious stuff out there. My router gets probed by unknown IPAs every few seconds, though it's well locked down so there's no way in. Life is much more difficult for people running servers because they can't simply block everything coming in.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 2:05 pm   #25
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hi Sam,
If you try a VPN service, confirm they have a UK presence with a UK IP address or you could still have problems.
It's also possible that Chris has blocked access from known VPN providers so it's try it and see.

I understand the actions taken by Chris, he wants to keep it safe and not spend all his time looking after it.

There is the other option of forgetting radio related subjects and put your feet up with a beer and think of the beach next month.

Frank
Old 30th Jan 2017, 2:28 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

Apparently The Philippines is one of the worst offenders for spam and other malicious attacks.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 6:16 pm   #27
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

It is possible that proxy servers are also blocked. I just tried accessing Radios-TV via Firefox with IxQuick proxy search engine. It did work previously during evaluation.

"The page you requested could not be retrieved by the Ixquick Proxy, as a "403 Forbidden" message was received.

It is possible that the page is not available to anyone. Alternatively, the page may require the use of a certain browser, or cookies, or a password, for access."

Rich
Old 30th Jan 2017, 6:35 pm   #28
paulsherwin

It is certainly possible to block all proxy servers, but that isn't happening in this case as I am accessing it via a proxy server! (I run my own Squid server on an old laptop for a number of reasons). It's possible that a known list of proxy servers is being blocked, or perhaps the proxy IP headers are being checked and conditional action is being taken.
Old 1st Feb 2017, 1:55 pm   #29
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
The forum formerly known as 'VRAT' (of which I wasn't a member), closed on Sept 10 2016. The reasons for closure were stated, but were removed on 7 October.
Out of interest, what were the reasons for closure as I didn't see all of this until they were removed? Just curious...
Old 1st Feb 2017, 2:01 pm   #30
Station X

See here:-

http://forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=13714

This is not an appropriate subject for discussion in these forums.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Feb 2017, 8:42 pm   #31
Beobloke
Heptode

I don't wish to discuss it, I was just interested to know why another forum I enjoyed browsing suddenly and mysteriously closed.

If you wish to maintain the mystery, though, that's fine!
Old 1st Feb 2017, 8:53 pm   #32
paulsherwin

No mystery to maintain, it's just that we don't allow discussion of other vintage radio forums here. We try to maintain a friendly relationship with our 'competitors'.

The forum closed because of arguments about moderation which became personal, following which the forum administrator became completely fed up and threw in the towel.
Closed Thread