UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2021, 4:00 pm   #81
paulsherwin

Default Re: Radio Caroline Power Increase

It's now audible here in Oxford on my ordinary garden radio (Grundig Concert Boy 225) while it was really just noise before. It's not really listenable though. Mind you, BBC WS on 648 wasn't great here either, despite a rather more meaty transmitter.

It sounds a bit better on my Yachtie N210 but is still a bit grim for everyday listening. Must be good in East Anglia now though. I wonder what it sounds like in London.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 4:14 pm   #82
agardiner
Octode

They are requesting reception reports so that they can assess the improvements and what they would like to do next! Please help them by completing on their website at: https://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html

It is great that there is still a station that is committed to AM.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 4:17 pm   #83
Jonster
Heptode

It's always been just about listenable on a Panasonic RF-1110 here in Eastbourne with a signal of 7/10 on the meter, it's now much stronger and the meter is reaching to the end stop. A big improvement.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 4:29 pm   #84
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I wonder what it sounds like in London.
If I get the chance over the weekend, I'll give it a try and let you know what it's like in Croydon....not so far outside London. The only radio here that could pick it up really well was the Bush VHF80 due to it having an RF amp on AM. The Bush TR82 could also manage it but not really listenable.

The car radio could also receive it quite well but for some reason, AM through the car radio sounds awful probably due to the limited IF response....just sounds mushy and flat
Old 26th Nov 2021, 6:04 pm   #85
OldTechFan96
Octode

Is there any chance that I could catch Caroline in NE England?

I did at the end of last year. It was past midnight with the volume all the way up and I just about heard a station ID.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 7:06 pm   #86
paulsherwin

I guess there's a sea path most of the way, so some sort of reception is at least possible. Try immediately after lunch.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 7:17 pm   #87
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Sounding good in Coningsby, Lincolnshire! That was using the Sony ICF-2001D, which is super sensitive anyway, the signal strength was just 1 LED away from the end of the scale, and the audio was listenable over all the hash from the SMPSU's and the video monitor that's running on my workbench, I did have to be over by the door to get away from the noise, but it is certainly much clearer than it was before!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 11:07 pm   #88
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I wonder what it sounds like in London.
Well I can tell you that it is much improved. I've only had the chance to try with a small transistor radio tonight (a 1965 Vesta Vixen). It was barely audible before but it is now quite listenable. It will be interesting to see how the VHF80 sounds now. That was the only set able to pick it up at a reasonable volume on a ferrite rod before the power increase.

The Vesta is managing quite well considering it's only a bog-standard 6 transistor job.

Quite something to be able to hear Caroline on what was my first transistor radio back in 1965. I used to listen to most of the pirates on that original Vesta.

Now perhaps something else to listen to on the AM sets.

Hmm Just playing All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix. Bit of fading but otherwise quite good reception.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 12:43 am   #89
Superscope
Octode

Had a scan this Evening, and sucessfully picked up Caroline
down here in Cornwall.

Some occational Fading, but certainly listenable.

Ian
Old 27th Nov 2021, 1:15 am   #90
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
According to their web page, the TX is a DX25 from Harris. These can do 25 kW output, so if OFCOM is allowing them to use it at full chat no wonder it's such an improvement. It's gone from 'bad, even by Anorak standards' to 'armchair listening' on my shack radio, and even on my Sony portable it would count as 'good Anorak'.
Apparently Caroline asked for 10kW and were turned down. Quite why given the general demise of AM seems strange – if they can afford to run it why should anyone else worry? (It can’t be concern for interference given what the WS used to run!)

I listen a fair bit on my little Sony ICF480 with a AN200 loop. Previously in daylight it was comfortable (without the loop just discernable in the noise) but it has been very strong with just a hint of noise and is now listenable though not great without the loop. During darkness reception can vary quite a bit.

My guess just using my ears would be 4 or 5 kW.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 9:57 am   #91
PeterRoberts
Pentode

A good guess from Junk Box Nick!
Manx Radio, who are closely tied with Caroline, have just said that the new Caroline 648 power is 4kW.

Its now a better signal here in Surrey, but still too much local electrical noise where I live to make it a pleasant listen.

Peter
Old 27th Nov 2021, 10:11 am   #92
Sideband
Dekatron

You are on the other side of Surrey to me. It's interesting what difference a relatively few miles makes. Mind you, we are fairly 'open' here with no industry nearby...well not near enough to cause interference. Lots of local hash though.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 10:34 am   #93
Christoffrad
Hexode

Here in Cambridge we have always had good daytime signal but night time had some background interference. Last night I noticed it was rock solid.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 10:46 am   #94
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Just tried on my bedside radio, a Bose Wave music system, it couldn’t pick it up before, now picks it up very well! Certainly as listenable as Absolute radio, maybe with a bit of background noise if I’m being picky.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 27th Nov 2021, 11:00 am   #95
Aub
Nonode

1kw to 4kw is only 1 S point increase. It seems better than that though.

Aub
Old 27th Nov 2021, 7:10 pm   #96
kellymarie
Pentode

I'm pleased to report Caroline is now a good signal hear just outside weymouth in dorset the signal shows a maximum of S8 on my FT817 and 60 foot wire is also a good signal on my Panasonic stereo radio cassette there are some deep fades and a bit of splatter from channels either side but all in very good for just 4 Kilowatts. Considering that before it was just barely there on the wire aerial be interesting to try it in daytime cheers
Old 27th Nov 2021, 7:53 pm   #97
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'll give it a try on "Steady Eddy", my Eddystone 840A bedside radio, tonight. I've got a "short longwire" antenna [80 feet] and a network of paralleled fence-post-supports as ground.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 8:12 pm   #98
paulsherwin

I suspect reasonable reception is possible anywhere in England using a modest comms receiver and a longwire, apart from maybe in Devon and Cornwall. I don't think there are any co-channel stations in Europe on 648 now, so the limiting factor will be local RFI. Reception with a a typical domestic trannie is a different matter of course.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 8:41 pm   #99
Sideband
Dekatron

The reception here is much improved but still struggling to overcome a lot of the mush in the background. It is better in certain parts of the house and in the dining room is of very good quality with minimal noise. Up in my loft workshop it is not so good....my neighbour has all of his security electronics in his loft immediately adjoining mine so there is a lot of noise generated. Nothing I can do about that unfortunately. I'm working on a better outdoor aerial placed at the end of the garden with a screened feed coming into the house but that can wait now until the weather perks up again.

Generally though, I think Caroline's power increase has been very worthwhile and will make reception much better.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 4:58 pm   #100
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I tried listening on the 840A around midnight but the signal quality was really poor - I guess the ionosphere wasn't helping Caroline's signal reach this part of Wiltshire.