UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2018, 6:26 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile National hamfest, 28-29 September

Good evening,
Is anyone thinking of going to this event this Friday. I am planning on going on Friday. I went last year but got there rather late to see much.
Christopher Capener
Old 26th Sep 2018, 7:49 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: National hamfest, 28-29 September

l will be.... Dv
Outside stalls available from 9:30, main site at 10. Be prepared to queue if arriving for opening time.
Usually a good day.
Peter
Old 26th Sep 2018, 10:35 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

David, and I intend going on Friday.

John.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 12:50 am   #4
Millay_2010
Hexode

hi

This will be my first ever trip to an event like this, will be going on friday about midday, im going soley to look for some test equipment (oscilloscope and signal generator and maybe a tracer)

Also does anyone think i will find any good books for someone beginning their journey into vintage radio repairs and restorations?

I wont be hard to spot i will be the annoying one going round on a blue mobility scooter with my poor girlfriend following along Do say hi!
Old 27th Sep 2018, 11:47 am   #5
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Hi back

You should find a reasonable selection of used test equipment plus Rigol have had a good selection of their models in the past

RSGB published a book called "Restoring Old radio Sets" which you might find useful, I did. RSGB will have their usual large book stand with many different books

You could have a look here at what they have before you go (I cant guarantee they will have every copy there)

https://rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Online...___CDs_29.html

Fred
Old 27th Sep 2018, 1:25 pm   #6
Millay_2010
Hexode

Thanks for that, I will have a look for their stall that book looks pretty good. I am certainly going to be looking at the cheaper used end of the spectrum, i may be skint but its more fun anyhow
Old 27th Sep 2018, 6:16 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Forum Member Tony Thompson [Aerodyne] produced an excellent book "Vintage Valve Radios-A Practical Guide To Restorers". The second [revised] edition came out in 2015-recommended!

Dave W
Old 27th Sep 2018, 6:29 pm   #8
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

For anyone else who didn't actually know, this seems to be taking place in Newark. Can I ask if this is what used to be the Leicester Rally? It had the same unusual Friday / Saturday format, rather than Sunday as for most rallies.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 9:22 pm   #9
Reelman
Octode

Yes, this rally replaces both the old Leicester do at the Granby Halls (which was Friday and Saturday ) and later Castle Donnington and the Lincoln one which was at the Lincolnshire Showground.

Peter
Old 27th Sep 2018, 10:35 pm   #10
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Thanks for that - unfortunately I'll be even further away from that location than usual this weekend. I last went when it was still the Leicester rally in, as you say, the Granby Halls.

Maybe next year.
Old 28th Sep 2018, 6:19 am   #11
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

I went to the very first "Leicester Rally" at Granby on a school trip!

Off to Newark in 30 minutes

73 Fred G4BWP
Old 28th Sep 2018, 9:17 am   #12
Techman
Dekatron

Just about to set off for Newark myself.
Old 30th Sep 2018, 5:50 am   #13
Millay_2010
Hexode

Had a great time at the fest picked up my first scope for £20 really happy, and lovely to meet one of you chaos, sorry had memory I can't remeber your name
Old 30th Sep 2018, 6:54 am   #14
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Damn, missed it again this year, completely forgot. Did anyone else go?

Andy.
Old 30th Sep 2018, 9:27 am   #15
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Quote:
Can I ask if this is what used to be the Leicester Rally?
Leicester amateur radio show was presented and run by the Leicester Amateur Radio Show Committee afaik. The team with the maroon coloured blazers. Obviously, RSGB had a presence there.
Seymour Halls exhibition , London was staged by the RSGB in the 60s, when I first attended.
In the 70s the RSGB had an exhibition at Alexandra Palace.
I went to a show at NEC iirc this was staged by RSGB? 1990s?

For many years the Lincoln Shortwave Club staged their annual rally at the Lincolnshire showground. Then it was moved to Newark, I think probably due to ever increasing hire cost at the showground. This was at first in a much smaller basic building near the road entrance. Then the current George Stephenson building was used, like this weekend.
I do not remember quite when the RSGB became associated with LSWC In presenting what is now called the National Hamfest.
I think the reason was the rally/show was becoming a huge financial risk undertaking for a local radio club.
These days it is now known as National Hamfest.
National Hamfest (Lincoln) Ltd is a not for profit company that has been set up to manage the National Hamfest. It co-ordinates the volunteer Lincolnshire (and other helpers?)club members and any surplus is shared between them. This seems to work well for the benefit of everyone.

It was nice to meet some friends from Lincoln, Spalding and Grantham clubs who volunteered, often over several days. I apologise if I have omitted naming other helping organisations, but those are representative faces I knew personally.
It was a privilege to once again shake the hand of John Birkett and have a quick chat.
In all, a most enjoyable day on Friday and imho the smoothest run so far.
All the volunteers did a great job, thank you.
Rob
Old 30th Sep 2018, 1:45 pm   #16
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: National hamfest, 28-29 September

Had a good day on Friday.
Picked up a few NOS B9a valveholders and a PLC. I was impressed with the show though a little too up to date for my liking!!

I was impressed with the Peak electronics component tester display stall and bought a Peak ESR and cap checker type ESR70 which is rather impressive and works very well and a Peak zener diode tester which looked rather useful.

Christopher Capener
Old 30th Sep 2018, 9:08 pm   #17
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I was there Saturday and got the old AVO listed on the b/buy.Plus a Natpan VHS recorder and a NatPan DVD ditoo,a £5 each like new!

Also an Advance D1/D sadly no front panel.
Old 30th Sep 2018, 9:44 pm   #18
Reelman
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millay_2010 View Post
Had a great time at the fest picked up my first scope for £20 really happy, and lovely to meet one of you chaos, sorry had memory I can't remeber your name
That was me!
Good to meet you too and your young lady. Glad to see you found what you wanted.
Picked up some useful bits myself and successfully managed to escape without buying anything too large..... this time.

Peter
Old 1st Oct 2018, 8:28 am   #19
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I went on Friday - Didn't pick much up, some multicore flexible cable for an avionics project I am engaged in, and a new set of leads for my Peak Capacitor tester.

Saved my funds for the Belgian Radio Rally at La Louviere on the Sunday - A good show, with lots of lovely old kit and UL41s at 2 euro each!
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 9:04 pm   #20
Techman
Dekatron

I didn't buy much either, just a few bits and pieces and some old books from the cheap book stall - 40p each or three for £1, regardless of size. I resisted buying any more valves that I don't really need, but may do sometime.

When I got there I spent far too long chatting to the chap that had the Murphy radios for sale on one of the first outside stalls. I found that yet again, although obviously a radio guy, who was telling me about various things he'd built using EF50 valves, he had absolutely no idea about the damage caused by a leaky grid coupling capacitor when telling me that his radios were serviced and working. I did concede that the original capacitor in question was of a reasonably decent quality in those Murphys, and although usually slightly leaky, then perhaps not quite such an immediate disaster as in some other sets. I find this a lot with folks that are 'old school' radio guys that don't frequent any internet forums, and have to confess that even I didn't appreciate the havoc these capacitors caused when in this particular part of the circuit until I joined this forum, due to it not being the problem in the distant past that it now is all these years later.

There was a basket case Eddystone receiver with no case for £20 that I noted had gone before I left. There was a Taylor 45 valve tester for £50 on one of the expensive stalls in the main building. It was quite tatty and something had been going on with the meter scale which seemed to be lifting and had been crudely taped down, but otherwise looked complete. It was next to a 2KW dummy load for £150 - both were still there when I left.

I seemed to think that there wasn't quite the amount of traders or even quantity of stuff being sold by those that were there as there was last time - a gradual decline, I think. Still a good event to go to all the same.
Closed Thread