UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2022, 12:32 pm   #21
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Buying and Selling privately: minimising risk

My experiences in this era have been 100% great. One thing I tend to do if offering is suggest a minimum of posts so as to try and avoid problems with unknown lurkers! (as alluded to by Paul in post 10).

I do admit some leeway even then - if there's interest from someone who has made interesting contributions to the forum despite not being a prolific poster, then I will always try to oblige.

In my experience the response to offered posts has always been fantastic, people sending payment without having to be asked or reminded. Likewise, due to dividing my time between the UK and Spain it can be complicated for me at times to get things done, and people have been very understanding. A real credit to the forum IMO.
Old 8th Aug 2022, 6:41 pm   #22
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

100% when I have purchased through forum members.
Old 8th Aug 2022, 7:19 pm   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Again, absolutely 100 % satisfied with everything I’ve bought from members here. Most sales seem to be done as a bit of a favour, as opposed to trying to achieve maximum income.

The vast majority of people here are extremely honest and kind.
Old 15th Sep 2022, 8:21 pm   #24
Northyorks1
Heptode

I have had a couple of instances where the items I have received have been far worse than their descriptions, but because of price paid I have let it go. I had one transaction with a forum member last year that left me £140 out of pocket and caused me to lose my Paypal account, basically I paid him twice as he said the payment was not received, but two payments went to this member. I was lucky that I had paid with my credit card and my bank refunded £140, Paypal limited my account, and because of the total lack of help from Paypal I decided to not use Paypal again. So I am now more wary on this forum as there are some dodgy people on here, and recommend any one paying large amounts to always use their credit card for payment. People, there are good, bad and indifferent in all walks of life, but on a positive note I must say all my dealings apart from these few instances have been trouble free and I have dealt with some very nice and very helpful people on this forum.

Ian
Old 15th Sep 2022, 11:50 pm   #25
Nymrod121
Nonode

I've been n 'de-cluttering' mode for the last year and haven't experienced any problems ...

... but perhaps that's because I'm using a local (and respectable) scrap merchant.

Best wishes

Guy
Old 16th Sep 2022, 7:24 am   #26
FIXITNOW
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northyorks1 View Post
I have had a couple of instances where the items I have received have been far worse than their descriptions, but because of price paid I have let it go. I had one transaction with a forum member last year that left me £140 out of pocket and caused me to lose my Paypal account, basically I paid him twice as he said the payment was not received, but two payments went to this member. I was lucky that I had paid with my credit card and my bank refunded £140, Paypal limited my account, and because of the total lack of help from Paypal I decided to not use Paypal again. So I am now more wary on this forum as there are some dodgy people on here, and recommend any one paying large amounts to always use their credit card for payment. People, there are good, bad and indifferent in all walks of life, but on a positive note I must say all my dealings apart from these few instances have been trouble free and I have dealt with some very nice and very helpful people on this forum.

Ian
Wow you were lucky as section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, does not apply if going via PAYPAL, credit cards normally wash their hands and say it's a PAYPAL problem.
Old 16th Sep 2022, 10:26 am   #27
Trigon.
Hexode

For future reference, you might have done better to raise a chargeback through your credit card povider and open a case with PayPal simply for the record. Paypal will then take themselves out of the loop, and you will be refunded immediately by the card company who will then review the claim in due course.

e.g.This was received from PayPal after a refund had already been issued by the card company:-

Quote:
We were recently notified that you disputed the below transaction with your bank or credit card issuer:

Transaction Amount: £73.86 GBP
Transaction Date: 29 June 2020
Transaction ID: xxxx
Dispute Amount: £73.86 GBP
Dispute Case ID: xxxx

We Can't Investigate or Decide This Case

You opened this dispute with your bank or credit card issuer, and not with us. We can't provide additional details or updates on this claim because we don't have access to the investigation details.

Please Contact Your Bank or Credit Card Issuer

You'll need to contact your bank or credit card issuer directly for additional information on this claim or if you want to cancel it (clicking Cancel case in the Resolution Centre won't cancel the claim with your bank or credit card issuer).

Yours sincerely,

PayPal
Cheers
Old 16th Sep 2022, 10:57 am   #28
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Remember that if you make the payment as money to family and friends, PayPal do not offer any sort of dispute resolution. If you want protection you need to choose the option to pay for goods or services (which costs the recipient in fees).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 16th Sep 2022, 11:23 am   #29
Northyorks1
Heptode

The bank refunded my payment as my credit card was with them, they did tell me that this could be taken back off me, but this never happened and I heard no more from my bank. I spent lots of time on the phone with paypal who were very unhelpful, and would not even confirm where the two payments went too I didn't expect them to chase it up for me as I was not covered but expected them to give me basic information regarding the transactions. I was happy to get a refund from my bank and that was the end of the matter for me. It has not put me off buying things just a bit more wary.

Ian
Old 16th Sep 2022, 2:20 pm   #30
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've never had any problems buying from people here. Quite the opposite in fact.

If anyone has real problems with a member being downright dishonest, please do alert a moderator. Whilst they've got better things to do than police the private sales section, I'm sure they'd like to be able to keep an eye on potential troublemakers, scammers etc.
Old 16th Sep 2022, 3:45 pm   #31
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Indeed, if we become aware of repeated problems with a specific member's dealings and have reasonable evidence, they will be banned.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread