UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2022, 3:11 pm   #1
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Methods for a 'hat'?

Hi. Maybe this should be in the items offered section I wasn't sure.

Often in the items offered section, people run 'a hat'. I've done a few recently and there will be more to come.

So what method do people use? For me I've been using a simple pick a number. Each person who wants an item gets a number based simply on the order they asked to go in the hat. Then I use the website random.org to pick a number at random.

What do people think about this method? What else do people use?
Old 29th May 2022, 3:57 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Methods for a 'hat'?

I assign a number to each applicant, then close my eyes whilst randomly rotating the dial of a comms receiver with a 1kHz digital readout. Last digit indicates who gets it. I don't recollect a sale with more than 10 applicants.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th May 2022, 4:16 pm   #3
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I assign a number to each applicant, then close my eyes whilst randomly rotating the dial of a comms receiver with a 1kHz digital readout. Last digit indicates who gets it. I don't recollect a sale with more than 10 applicants.
I suppose that's so much more forum representative than my method!
Old 29th May 2022, 4:16 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The few times that I've done a 'hat' I used the (pseudo)random number generator on my calculator.

Assigned an integer from 1 to n to the people who wanted the item, then generated a random number (0<=random<1), multiplied by n, added 1 and took the integer part.

A question though : Is it 'allowed' to bias the distribution, or even select a particular person, based on the person's previous posts/interests (e.g.you have an add-on for a particular device, a person has been posting about that device, or you know somebody is just starting out so your spare multimeter would be useful to them, more so than to somebody who's been repairing radios for years and has several meters already)?
Old 29th May 2022, 4:29 pm   #5
Station X

Let's just say that no one would know unless you told them!

Ultimately it's up to the seller/donor to decide who gets something.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th May 2022, 4:30 pm   #6
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
A question though : Is it 'allowed' to bias the distribution, or even select a particular person, based on the person's previous posts/interests (e.g.you have an add-on for a particular device, a person has been posting about that device, or you know somebody is just starting out so your spare multimeter would be useful to them, more so than to somebody who's been repairing radios for years and has several meters already)?
In my view, if you just say you are running a hat, then no. A hat suggests drawing randomly. But then if you say your are running a hat with preferences (or bias) then yes. I've done a couple where I have stated preference, and in particluar priority for collection. Never come to that though.

In the case of your question, if you stated a bias (and best to explain why) then I'd say yes it's OK.

But's that's just my view!
Old 29th May 2022, 5:03 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Ultimately it's up to the seller/donor to decide who gets something.
Precisely.
Old 29th May 2022, 6:08 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Even if the mods wanted to introduce some sort of formal rule covering this (and we don't), there's no way that we could enforce it. As said, it's purely a matter for those disposing of items.
Old 29th May 2022, 6:11 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

The hat I use is the one seen on my avatar. WYSISWYG!

David
Old 29th May 2022, 6:18 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

I don't run a hat, first come first served. The hat is supposedly to allow those with less time on their hands to stand a chance of buying. I personally don't really 'get' that, peoples' browsing habits vary so much and not always because they're so busy at work. If someone is spending lots of time on the forum and as a consequence sees stuff earlier than others as a result, then I don't see anything wrong with that. I certainly don't see the point in running a 'sham' hat. Just my view, and I'm quite happy to be put into the hat if a seller runs one.
Old 29th May 2022, 6:44 pm   #11
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I've run hats before and first come first served too. I'm doing that at the moment, because I just want to clear stuff that I just don't use.

Craig
Old 29th May 2022, 9:44 pm   #12
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

If several are after one item, I tend to look at their history in helping others on here with either knowledge or parts.
I DO NOT entertain the one or two on here who are usually after just the freebies and contribute almost zero to this forum.
Rob
Old 19th Jun 2022, 3:06 pm   #13
The General
Hexode

I have a system which I think is fair, I let my cat Sirius decide for me. Now he loves his cat treats; he's like the cat in the TV ad who runs through a wall to get one. I write each person's name on a small piece of paper & arrange them in a group. Mrs. General puts a cat treat on each paper while I hold a struggling Sirius on the other side of the room. When I release him & he runs for his treats, the name on the first one he eats is the winner. No favouritism!
Mark
Old 19th Jun 2022, 5:47 pm   #14
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I use a real hat from the hat rack and slips of folded paper.
Closed Thread