UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2022, 10:30 am   #1
LeakyGrid
Rest in Peace

Default Reporting the death of members

It is sad to see reports of the death of members reported in the forum. In many cases, the member was known by another member who was able to tell us. In others, the absence of a prolific poster was noted and enquiries made. In my own case, I know no other members personally, and my absence would go unremarked.

I think that there is a case for including a "reporting the death of a member" protocol in the rules. This could then form part of the information package left for executors, etc.

It does not seem sufficient just to let the membership lapse. Although rule G1 says Members who have not posted any messages for three months or longer may have their memberships deleted ..., there are still members in the members list whose last post was 10 years ago.

Regards
Old 25th May 2022, 11:06 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Reporting the death of members

All you need to do is leave a note in your personal papers for your executors. In it give a link to the forums ie:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum

Include your forum username and ask your executors to notify your death to us using the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page.

We'll then set your forum status to "Rest In Peace" and start a new thread advising members of your demise and include any additional information given to us by your executors, funeral arrangements for example.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th May 2022, 11:06 am   #3
paulsherwin

The problem is that we have no way of knowing that someone has died unless someone tells us. We are aware of quite a few once prolific posters who have simply dropped off the radar, but we obviously can't assume they are deceased. They may have simply lost interest in the hobby, or decided to make radical changes to their lives and even adopt new identities.
Old 25th May 2022, 11:24 am   #4
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The problem is that we have no way of knowing that someone has died unless someone tells us.
Then you have the question of the reliability of the information. There can be misunderstandings. For example, some years ago my own passing was announced on this and certain other boards.

Steve
Old 25th May 2022, 11:46 am   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Quote:
The problem is that we have no way of knowing that someone has died unless someone tells us.
Then you have the question of the reliability of the information. There can be misunderstandings. For example, some years ago my own passing was announced on this and certain other boards.

Steve
Indeed Steve, and yours was not the only case.
Old 25th May 2022, 11:49 am   #6
paulsherwin

The mods are aware of these previous misunderstandings, which is why we're sometimes slow to change someone's forum status even when information is received.
Old 25th May 2022, 12:01 pm   #7
LeakyGrid
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
All you need to do is leave a note in your personal papers for your executors
Thanks, I have now done that.

The members list could still perhaps be tidied. (((Dan-sette))), for example, made a single post in 2013, and did not reply to the answers. Tedious job, though.

Regards,
Old 25th May 2022, 12:04 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
The mods are aware of these previous misunderstandings, which is why we're sometimes slow to change someone's forum status even when information is received.
To clarify, I wasn't having a go at mods Paul, it's people making assumptions based on Chinese whispers based bits of information that's the problem. Mods have to work with the information that they are presented with, I get that.
Old 25th May 2022, 12:24 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Quote:

Steve
That evokes memories of the rumours of the demise of the American humourist, novelist and social critic Samuel Clemens - best known by his pen name, 'Mark Twain' who is often misquoted as having said :

“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

What he actually said was:

‘ The report of my death was an exaggeration.”

He was in London on one of the stops on a round-the-world speaking tour he’d embarked on in 1895, when someone started a rumour that he was gravely ill. It was followed by a rumour that he had died:

https://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2010...e-greatly.html

Currently, the forum statistics state that there are 30,493 members, of whom 1,967 are 'active'. Not sure whether an 'active' member is someone who regularly posts, or includes those who don't post, but regularly access the forum even if only to view posts and threads. Some formerly active members who might even be termed 'leading lights' still often visit the forum even though they no longer post or are still active in the hobby.

Very saddened to see that Al, 'Skywave' - yet another valued forum member - has pass away so suddenly.
Old 25th May 2022, 12:28 pm   #10
Stockden
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
All you need to do is leave a note in your personal papers for your executors.
That is exactly what I have done, with a list of organisations to be notified (RSARS, RSGB, BVWS etc). It seem to me that this addresses both the "How do we know?" and "Is the information reliable?" questions.

Hugh
Old 25th May 2022, 2:30 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
That evokes memories of the rumours of the demise of the American humourist, novelist and social critic Samuel Clemens - best known by his pen name, 'Mark Twain' who is often misquoted as having said :

Interesting. In that case the Bloomsbury Dictionary of Quotations is amongst the misquoters in giving the former as his response in a cable to Associated Press on hearing that his obituary had been published.

It was indeed this quote that immediately sprang to my mind on being reminded of it happening to Steve.
Old 25th May 2022, 4:37 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler

Clemens may have made that remark with the differing phrasings on different occasions.

David
Old 21st Jun 2022, 4:56 pm   #13
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

I am reminded of the erroneous Daily Telegraph report in 1999 that voilinist and one-time member of Fairport Convention Dave Swarbrick had died.

Dave responded: “It's not the first time I've died in Coventry!”

(At the time Dave was not well, confinined to a wheelchair, and hoping for a transplant. A benefit gig was arranged which I attended. He eventually had his surgery and lived 17 years beyond the original notice.)
Old 21st Jun 2022, 5:20 pm   #14
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I'm glad you told the Swarb story! He was so ill before his transplant he used to go on stage with an oxygen cylinder.

Saw him with Martin Carthy at the Nettlebed folk club near Henley about a year before he died.

Carthy always spends an eternity tuning his guitar - with Swarb making joking comments each time.

Craig
Old 21st Jun 2022, 5:57 pm   #15
stevehertz
Dekatron

Carthy being a somewhat acerbic man, I'm surprised he didn't tell Swarbric where to go!

A friend of mine saw him in a folk club - The Dilk at Walsall - many years ago and during a song people started to clap along. He stopped playing and said, "I'll tell you when to clap."
Old 21st Jun 2022, 6:28 pm   #16
Cobaltblue

Way past time to get back on topic please.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread