UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2022, 11:50 am   #1
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

Default Weird forum display.

Every so often when I access the forum, the list of threads appear with titles etc in various sized fonts.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I'm using chrome on android.

Mark
Old 20th May 2022, 12:26 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Weird forum display.

Same thing happens to me. It's a quirk of Android phones.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th May 2022, 12:56 pm   #3
paulsherwin

It's called font boosting, and is an appalling misfeature of the Webkit Android library used by most Android browsers. Unbelievably, there's no way to turn it off. You do get used to it, but it always looks awful. See https://ux.stackexchange.com/questio...osting-good-ux
Old 20th May 2022, 1:48 pm   #4
Aub
Nonode

Happens on my phone too. In fact this thread appears in minutely small font and has to be expanded greatly by finger spread. Very annoying.

Aub
Old 20th May 2022, 2:02 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Older vBulletin forums like this are particularly badly affected by this well intentioned but very annoying behaviour. Google have never shown the slightest interest in making it optional, which would be trivially easy for them to do. There is a bodge which website designers can use to suppress it, but that would disable it for *all* devices, including those which might actually benefit from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220520-140611.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	257527  
Old 20th May 2022, 2:18 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It happens on my iPhone too. Often reloading the page makes it display differently on these devices, which can sometimes help.

As Paul says, any workaround is a fudge and adversely affects some devices while benefiting others. The old forum system here predates widespread use of mobile devices so doesn't have any sort of optimised mobile mode.

There are other aspects of the forum that do not work so well on mobile devices or are awkward to use. However with the nature of the content it is likely that the majority of users will be using computers rather than phones.

Eventually we will need to move to newer forum software, but I can't see any compelling reason yet. Migrating everything to a different system would be a massive job. If it ain't (badly) broke...

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 20th May 2022, 2:22 pm   #7
cmjones01
Nonode

This is interesting. I also use an Android phone (a OnePlus 6) with its default browser and haven't seen the forum text appearing in different sizes in different columns, but have encountered another effect which might be related. When i open a thread, the text is too small for comfortable reading on the phone screen. However, if I then press "back" and open the same thread a second time, the text appears in a larger size font which makes it much easier to read with minimal zooming in. I do it almost without thinking now on any new thread.

Can this be explained by the same things?

Chris
Old 20th May 2022, 2:35 pm   #8
paulsherwin

It will depend on the size and resolution of the screen. The screenshot in #5 came from a cheap Alcatel 1C which has a fairly lo-res display. I don't see font boosting on the Amazon Fire 7 tablet in landscape I mostly use. The boosting code in Webkit will do all sorts of unpredictable things depending on the display, the orientation and the content of the web page (including effects from Javascript tasks running in the background.)

As I said, well intentioned but more often than not a PITA.
Old 20th May 2022, 2:53 pm   #9
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

This is the question I kept meaning to ask, but never did!
Phone is only one affected, I think, as tablet ISTR is OK. Both Android.
Rob
Old 20th May 2022, 3:19 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I agree... the forum software is imperfect and sometimes gives funny results on mobile devices, but overall, this site is rock-solid and the one I go to when other things don't load, to determine whether it's a problem at my end or not. Please don't change it
Old 20th May 2022, 3:29 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Agree! J.
Old 20th May 2022, 4:07 pm   #12
emeritus
Dekatron

Chris, thanks for the tip to go back and then re-open. (#7). Just tried it on my Android phone and it worked!
Closed Thread