UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2022, 7:23 pm   #1
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

Default Problems when using forum

Hi Folks, Not sure where to put this, moderators please feel free to move it.
I have an intermittent problem using the forum, I don’t have this problem with any other sites. I am using an ipad with the latest software version 15.5. The problem I have is when replying to a post or a private message when I hit send it asks me to sign in. I am already signed in, when I sign in again the message I have just typed has disappeared. This is frustrating as I then type the message again, hit send and get the same message to sign in. I can get around this by restarting my ipad but wondered if there were any suggestions I can try.
Sorry for the long winded message. Norman
Forgot to mention when using my workshop PC windows 10 I never have this problem.
Old 14th Aug 2022, 7:33 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Problems when using forum

Try ticking the "Remember Me" box when you log in.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Aug 2022, 7:42 pm   #3
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

As a matter of course I copy messages before hitting send, especially if they contain laboriously transcribed meter readings. It occasionally happens with any browser that you get kicked back to the previous page for any number of technical reasons, so it's handy to be able to paste the message instead of giving up. I know it's a workaround, but I don't know why you're having your specific issue.

One other thing to try is to open the forum homepage in a new tab, leaving the one with your message and not-signed-in error in the previous tab. Sign in on the new tab, then try sending your message in the previous one. As far as the browser is concerned, you'll then be logged in and may not lose your message.
Old 14th Aug 2022, 8:35 pm   #4
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried ticking the remember me box but that doesn’t help. I will try the other suggestion.
It’s frustrating when I have replied to someone in detail then it gets lost. Next message is shorter, I lose it again then we are on a one line reply which doesn’t really say what I’d like. It’s very intermittent and very frustrating. Thanks again, Norman
Old 14th Aug 2022, 8:42 pm   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

The 'remember me' box won't work if you have got your browser security settings set up so that cookies aren't retained for logins.
Old 16th Aug 2022, 7:08 am   #6
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
As a matter of course I copy messages before hitting send, especially if they contain laboriously transcribed meter readings.
Unless I am just making a quick post of a couple of lines I always compose my posts in Microsoft Word first and then copy and paste.
Apart from the advantages regarding losing the post it's handy to be able to compose the text and spell check it.

Peter
Old 19th Aug 2022, 12:19 am   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Even if I’m just typing here, unless it’s just a quick couple of lines, like this, I always press Ctrl+A (select all) then Ctrl+C (copy), before submitting. It’s literally a couple of seconds which saves a lot of frustration on the rare occasion something goes wrong.

I do the same with other online forms such as “contact us” forms on websites too.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th Aug 2022, 8:55 am   #8
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

As said previously I am using an ipad, no ctrl anything unless I just don’t see it.
Old 19th Aug 2022, 9:48 am   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If you tap twice in the same place in the text box (but not so fast that it is a double-tap) you get a pop-up menu which includes “Select all”. Tap that option and you get a second pop-up menu which includes “Copy”. Tap that option, then post the message.

If the posting fails you can do the same two taps in an empty text box and choose “Paste”.

I have included screenshots from my iPhone.

You could also use a word processor app (such as Google Docs) or the included Pages app or Notes app on your iPad to write the post then copy and paste from that to the forum in the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-08-19 09.48.06.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	263102   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-08-19 09.48.13.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	263103   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-08-19 09.49.54.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	263104  

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 19th Aug 2022 at 9:54 am. Reason: Added screenshots and tweaked text.
Old 19th Aug 2022, 11:57 am   #10
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

Thanks Paul, I will give that a try. I really don't understand computers, my sons always think it's funny that after 50 years in the trade I can't do computers. It's more that I don't want to learn rather than I can't. All the best, Norman
Closed Thread