UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2022, 4:26 pm   #1
af024
Octode

Default Private Messages - where to type?

No doubt this has been discussed previously, so apologies if that it the case.

I was simply wondering what the intention or protocol was when replying to Private Messages ("PM's"). Is it expected that we should type any new text below the original posting and keep to the 'last below' when adding even more text, or perhaps it's the converse - i.e. type the new text above and always keep the 'always above' principle.

Personally I favour the second option as you don't have to scroll down to see the latest text, but what do others think? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Is there a convention that is favoured?

Kind regards,

Andy
Old 2nd May 2022, 4:32 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Private Messages - where to type?

There are no specific rules about this, and if there were the mods couldn't enforce them because we can't see PMs. Members should just try to use common sense.
Old 2nd May 2022, 5:17 pm   #3
deswradio
Tetrode

Paul is right - do whatever you think is appropriate. But there's a back story, of course - have a look at the Wikpedia article on posting style - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style to read about the etiquette of replying to emails!

Best wishes - Des
Old 2nd May 2022, 6:09 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Anyone who still posts to USENET as I do, (has anyone noticed my pedantic hyphen hyphen space return signature separator on my forum posts?) will identify with the OPs motives for asking the question Top-posters tend to get vilified.

I looked in my forum out-box to see what my style is, and it's inconsistent, sometimes I top-post, and sometimes I respond below the existing text.

Other times I delete the other members message entirely and start a reply afresh, and yet other times (when I CBA) I manipulate the tags to selectively quote and place my contribution "in-line".

Whatever seems appropriate at the time.
So hopefully I format PMs in the spirit of Paul's recommendations above.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 2nd May 2022 at 6:15 pm.
Old 3rd May 2022, 9:37 am   #5
af024
Octode

Thank you for your thoughts guys.

The private messaging is a very useful feature of the forum, that's for sure, but sometimes I miss what's being said because recent entries have sometimes been hidden amongst old text. The text can actually grow to be quite long, so sometimes it's a case of having to read everything through from start to finish each time in the hope that you spot the new entry.

Of course you can generally get an instinct as to how a conversation will structure itself after one or two ping-pongs, so in the main it's not much of a problem.

Anyhow, if reciprocated, I think I'll try hard to type new text above entries, that way the latest entry can be identified in positive manner without any head scratching/searching. That works for me.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Andy
Old 5th May 2022, 3:26 pm   #6
John10b
Nonode

I am glad someone asked this question as when I first used pm I was unsure how to reply and thought if I asked the question I would be considered silly.
John
Old 5th May 2022, 5:11 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

Using logic (I do have some) I reply below the original incoming PM. In other words as if you were reading a book or a letter, that's how the later material would appear. Then again, some would argue that logically the original PM was there first and therefore should be below the reply, ie in the 'real world' things that appear later pile on top of other earlier things. It's exciting though isn't it?
Old 5th May 2022, 6:00 pm   #8
af024
Octode

Ooooh, what have I started?
Old 5th May 2022, 6:00 pm   #9
af024
Octode

... as you say, all good fun. Cheers.