UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Oct 2022, 4:31 pm   #1
Michael Burt
Diode

Default Ferguson 3054 issues/ advice needed

Hi all,
New to forum but would welcome any assistance available. We recently acquired a Ferguson 3054 from father-in-law and hooked it up last night. All seemed well, player powered up but the sliding switch to 'start' won't budge from the 'stop' position.
As background, this player has sat idle for some years so I'm wondering if the switch has seized. All other sliders work fine it would appear.
I don't want to start opening things up just yet so thought I would seek out some nuggets of wisdom before embarking on any invasive operations.
Thanks in advance
Michael
Old 5th Oct 2022, 11:31 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Ferguson 3054 issues/ advice needed

A read through this thread

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=75401

(which is a sticky at the top of this forum) would be a good place to start. It sounds like you are suffering from the dried up grease that affects most players of this age.
Old 6th Oct 2022, 10:39 am   #3
Michael Burt
Diode

Many thanks. I'll give that a look
Old 6th Oct 2022, 11:16 am   #4
Chris R
Pentode

It is most likely that the most difficult task will be to remove the turntable. Great care is needed here. It is all too easy to rotate the central bearing in the chassis plate - only to find later that the mechanism doesn't operate correctly. Follow the guidance notes referred to carefully.

Chris R
Old 7th Oct 2022, 1:14 pm   #5
Michael Burt
Diode

Thanks for the advice Chris
Closed Thread