UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2019, 6:39 pm   #1
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Default Early Radio valuation

Yesterday I attended a Steampunk Day at Papplewick Pumping Station in Nottinghamshire. One of the stall holder/traders had the radio shown below on offer. I may be out of touch, but am I alone in thinking his asking price of £875 was a trifle optimistic? It's a Sterling R1593.
I know these things are worth whatever someone will pay, but even so, £875 seems a bit steep. Apparently the set turned up in a house clearance - some people have all the luck!
What do others think about the price? It appeared complete and in reasonable condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterling Radio.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	186755  

Last edited by M0TGX Terry; 15th Jul 2019 at 6:50 pm. Reason: Added make and model info.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 6:54 pm   #2
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Early Radio valuation

Ah, likely pre-1926. It's anyone's guess what a smoker's cabinet set like that might fetch at a physical auction or online.

A stall is mad place to try and sell it.

It's maybe this one? A R1615
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sterli...net_table.html

My guess at 1926 or earlier seems correct: 1925.

No price listed.

I think a lesser R1588 may have fetched £500 at a BVWS event.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sterli...88_r_1588.html

Quote:
Lot 44
A Sterling R.1588 wireless receiver
Price realised GBP 840
Scroll down: https://www.christies.com/mechanical...spx?saletitle=
Also at Christies: Lot 43, A Burndept No. IV wireless receiver, Price realised GBP 2,400

I don't see any prices for the R1615.

So not an unreasonable asking price to start haggling at. Too high a start for an auction.

Last edited by Mike. Watterson; 15th Jul 2019 at 7:08 pm. Reason: Add link R1588
Old 15th Jul 2019, 6:57 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

As you say, it’s worth what someone will pay, I wouldn’t be paying that much but then it’s of no interest to me.
I am probably in the £25 range, if someone is willing to pay 800 odd pounds can’t really blame him for trying.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 7:03 pm   #4
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

It does really make no sense, like price of Round Ekcos, or KB Beehives, or the Perspex Pye Personal Sunrise set. Or DAC90a fetches x3 what a DAC10, or the Marconiphone version of Ever Ready B fetches about x4.

Or most Paintings sold from £1000 to Millions+

A lot is bought by speculators, or collectors that just want it because it's Iconic / Rare / Old / Pretty / The Brand (delete as required).
Old 15th Jul 2019, 7:12 pm   #5
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Needless to say, I didn't even consider buying it. The finances don't stretch anywhere near that far. Pity, because it was a very nice set.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 8:34 pm   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0TGX Terry View Post
Needless to say, I didn't even consider buying it. The finances don't stretch anywhere near that far. Pity, because it was a very nice set.
I didn’t think you did.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:08 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

The marconi V2s have been going for around the £800-900 mark, I know because dad brought one home once and I 'looked into it'. Mine's got no insides, BTW....
Old 17th Jul 2019, 11:30 pm   #8
PJL
Dekatron

Bit like pre-war TV's, they are an interesting bit of early radio technology and would have been expensive and sold in quite small numbers. I have a similar aged tatty Marconi Type 41 on the todo list as I never finished constructing the missing coil set (hence why I could afford it!). The common problem with sets of this period is 'upgrades' that involved replacing the guts with early 30's parts and of course the mahogany cabinets make nice jewellery boxes.
Closed Thread