UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2006, 1:56 am   #1
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Question Roberts R707 pushbutton styles.

I've found myself in possession of another R707, s/n 76802. Instead of having the usual pushbuttons with the little alloy caps, this one has plain black buttons with slightly rounded top edges. I think these are found on other Roberts models ( R700 ? ).

I was wondering if certain of the R707s were produced with this type of button ? or maybe those on this one have been replaced at some stage ? It certainly looks a little odd with plain buttons although they do seem a perfect fit and size.

I also have s/n 50502 which has capped buttons but is otherwise identical.
Old 7th Nov 2006, 2:41 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R707 pushbuttons.

Hello Darren,

Curious, but the only R707s I know with plain black buttons (I have one myself) are the earliest, s/n below about 20000. They tend to go with the centrally placed older style of Roberts badge. Yours on the other hand is the latest set I've heard of. The R700's buttons were rectangular and always plain so far as I know: I think the R600 sometimes had plain black circular ones as well...

Paul

Last edited by Darren-UK; 19th Aug 2007 at 12:37 am. Reason: Link to defunct thread removed.
Old 7th Nov 2006, 7:42 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Paul. I think I'll assume the buttons on mine are replacements. I've found some spare capped R707 buttons in one of my boxes but unfortunately some are missing their caps. S/n 76802 will just have to remain as it is for the time being.
Old 9th Nov 2006, 10:05 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

The one in my kitchen has the capped buttons, square badge, DC power socket. Sn 70018.
I have another out in the workshop(just been moduled!!) with black buttons, and the same style of badge( + dc socket). Not sure of s/n and can't be bothered to look-it's too cold!!
I wonder if the black buttons could have been supplied as spares?
It looks as though they have been replaced in the shed set.
Old 9th Nov 2006, 10:51 pm   #5
GJR 11L
Heptode

Currently listening to s/n 14293 as I write this! He's an early cabinet with central badge and no rebates behind the front panel where the rectangular badge would be attached on later sets. This set should have the plain buttons, as he came with three of them (two were completely missing). I fitted a complete set of the trimmed ones though, rather than have him look odd. Does this mean that I'm guilty of sacrilege?

The other cabinets here are 35178 and 68594, both have chassis with trimmed buttons and, in the case of 68594, a later dial with mw and lw frequencies shown rather than wavelengths as per the earlier pair.

(My only currently running early spec R600 is s/n 52824 which is the one with the smooth buttons and covered floor rather than the bare wooden panel of the sets with the later badge/button combination).

Last edited by Darren-UK; 19th Aug 2007 at 12:36 am. Reason: Ref to defunct thread removed.
Old 22nd Nov 2006, 2:15 am   #6
Tim
Dekatron

Two more for the survey.

ser no 42002 all black buttons and rectangular badge. ( the one mentioned earlier)

ser no 15021 chrome buttons and old style "handwritten" Roberts badge. ("spares" set.)