UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2006, 8:45 pm   #1
Superhet Si
Pentode

Default Restoring scratched perspex dials

I have just removed some quite deep scratches from the dial of a R500 Roberts radio. I had tried T-cut with little success. But try some Autosol metal polish!
Its come up like new.
Keep it away from sign writing though
Old 6th Dec 2006, 9:20 pm   #2
Andy Day
Pentode

Default Re: restoring scratched perspex dials

That's the stuff Si. I use a can of perspex polish I stole (Ooops, borrowed), from a company I worked for 37 years ago! It's just liked runny Solvol Autosol. I also use the same stuff in moderation on the mop of my buffing wheel, but in that situation you must use very little pressure 'cos of the heat generated which will melt perspex. And wear old clothes as you get showered in the debris!
Old 6th Dec 2006, 10:00 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhet Si View Post
I have just removed some quite deep scratches from the dial of a R500 Roberts radio. I had tried T-cut with little success. But try some Autosol metal polish!
Its come up like new.
Keep it away from sign writing though
An alternative is a product called 'Ring-away' which is used to polish watermarks off varnished wood. Hardware shops sell it in a small tube. It's a lot more abrasive than T-Cut and really eats through plastic. I usually finish off with T-Cut for a nice mirror finish, but it's not necessary in many cases.

Paul
Old 7th Dec 2006, 12:43 am   #4
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hello Paul.

I'd echo (or should it be Ekco ) your comments about the use of T-cut. It certainly brought up a very grubby National Panasonic "Commando 505" TV set that I was recently given. The only additional comment that I would make is not to let the stuff drip neat onto the plastic as it leaves a sort of white bloom. It also managed to completely clear all the scratches on the perspex detachable screen cover. I was well pleased and after freeing a jammed Line Hold core in its former, it works a treat and has pride of place next to my PC.

All the best,

Tas
Old 7th Dec 2006, 9:20 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I have a tin of "Gramos" rubbing compound, used for car bodywork. This is the "medium" grade, so a bit coarser than T-Cut.

I use it on the worst scales/knobs/other plastic bits, then T-Cut, then Solvol Autosol or Brasso. Finally some Bake-O-Bryte from Chas Miller, and the bits come up like new.
Old 7th Dec 2006, 10:11 am   #6
howard
Nonode

Hello,

Yup, Autosol is a very abrasive cleaner, designed for chrome which is a very hard metal. I don't usually use it on perspex, SafeCut, TCut or Brasso is usually sufficient to remove scratches but I'm going to give this a try now on a dial from a Roberts set I have here which someone has scribbled all over.

Howard
Old 8th Dec 2006, 11:42 am   #7
radioman
Heptode

...or you could use the plastic polish made by Greygate
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...SAPLASTICCLEAN
It's specially made for cleaning Perspex (not for cellulose acetate though)

Regards,
Andy
G-QRP #12697
Old 10th Jan 2007, 3:36 am   #8
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Hi,
I find Brasso Is the best solution for cleaning perspex as it is LESS abrasive than Solvol Autosol ,T-Cut or rubbing compound , I would advise NOT to use a polishing wheel or powered mop as this can lead to the perspex to either over-heat or distort, I find using a soft cloth thike the yellow cotton dusters or an old cotton t-shirt works fine, I have recently done a turntable dust cover with brasso and a duster and it has come up like new, Just be patient and take your time.
Old 10th Jan 2007, 10:27 am   #9
Aerodyne
Octode

Tripoli compound works well on a soft cloth buffing wheel, with far less spatter than Brasso or other liquids, though as always with any thermoplastic, gentle pressure and cooling breaks are essential. Tripoli is a hard wax-based stick under various names - I know that Axminster have it, probably Screwfix and other similar suppliers. It is best reserved for the high speed wheel, though as it is relatively ineffective when used by hand.
-Tony
Closed Thread