UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2013, 11:57 pm   #1
n_r_muir
Hexode

Default Sussex Valve Tester blowing mA/V meter.

Hi,

I have been using the Sussex valve tester for about 6 months and during that time the mA/V meter has been replaced twice. I was testing a 12AT7 and it passed all of its tests for leakage and inter-electrode shorts, It even showed good emission, 10 and 11 mA. There was a brief flash over in the valve and the anode current meter settled back to 10mA but the mA/V meter is now stuck on 1 even when there is no valve in the socket.

I did not notice anything out of the ordinary the first time the mA/V meter failed. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Are these LCD meters repairable or is it completely U/S?
Old 9th Nov 2013, 3:31 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Sussex Valve Tester blowing mA/V meter.

It's probably dead.

Maybe time for some input protection- limiting resistors and suitable zeners across the input and to ground/meter supply rail should do it.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Nov 2013, 4:21 pm   #3
Top Cap
Octode

I also had this problem but since fitting my diode mod I have had no failures. But then maybe I have not had a valve failure large enough to test the diode protection. Did you have a diode in place? Les
Old 9th Nov 2013, 9:31 pm   #4
n_r_muir
Hexode

HI,

Yes I had the shunt diode in place. The flash over must have destroyed the meter before the diode turned on.
Closed Thread