UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2011, 8:45 pm   #1
val33vo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tait programmer

Home brew Tait programmer

Does any one on this forum know where I can download software which will allow it to run on windows XP rather than than windows 98

The old shed computer is on its last legs

regards

val33vo
Old 10th Dec 2011, 11:09 pm   #2
bodge99
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Tait programmer

Hello.

Am I correct in thinking that this is a LPT driven PIC programmer??

Are you using IC-Prog in Windows 98?

I've got a few home brew no-name programmers designed for Dos/win9x which I've successfully got to work under XP.

Could you supply a few more details about your setup and I'll see what I can find...

Bodge99
Old 11th Dec 2011, 1:12 pm   #3
jimmc101
Heptode

I believe the PICPgm freeware is quite popular and supports the Tait Classic programmer under XP.
http://picpgm.picprojects.net/hardware.html

Jim
Old 11th Dec 2011, 9:30 pm   #4
val33vo
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your replies guys and yes it is an LPT programmer it worked ok untill 6 months ago when my windows 98 machine,s hard drive died ( I have had no reason to use it recently )

I shoved in a new drive and reloaded all the software but the programmer refused to work

To cut a long story short the pic 12f675 I was trying to write to was faulty and killed a logic 7404, a pnp transistor and a 7805 regulator

All is now working ok again but I will have to move on from windows 98 and LPT ports as they are very obsolete, I will try the software suggested

I have a pickit2 which I have had lying about for quite a while so will fire it up but I like to move from what I know works to whats new

thanks jimmc101 and bodge 99

best regards

val33v0
Old 12th Dec 2011, 11:20 am   #5
bodge99
Retired Dormant Member

Hello,

Just a thought... You probably won't have any joy getting an LPT programmer to run from a standard USB to LPT adapter/converter.

Apparently, most LPT programmers bit bang on the LPT port. Timing issues within USB cause this to fail.

Regards,

Bodge99.
Old 13th Dec 2011, 10:20 am   #6
richrussell
Heptode

I've had to abandon my trusty old LPT PIC programmer. It was fine in Windows 2000, but unreliable in Windows XP (on the same PC with a real parallel port) - but generally if I tried two or three times you'd get it to successfully program. I was happy with this, given the programmer cost me under £5 to build.

I then switched to using an old laptop running Linux which worked every time, but eventually the laptop expired.

I now have no way of programming PICs, and have a load of unused 16F628s and 16F84s sitting in a drawer doing nothing.

I do occasionally scan ebay and the like for cheap USB Pickits or similar, but I might just give up on them and have a play with Atmel based things like the Arduino instead. I'm not a big fan of PIC assembler anyway (and assembler is my preferred level of programming language)
Old 14th Dec 2011, 10:51 pm   #7
val33vo
Retired Dormant Member

I guess I am like some of you guys on a very limited budget so all my kit is homebrewed, but success at last , I have now got two pic programmers working, one for windows 98 (my old trusty shed computer running a home brew tait ) and a velleman 8048 that I got at a ham jumble sale for a tenner ( it works fine on windows XP )

Just spent a pleasant afternoon getting my programme for an auto shut down power system for my shed working on the 8048 experimenter board, I am using a PIC 16f628a and the only prob I had was it can use a facility called LVP where you do not need a higher voltage on the MCLR pin during programming, however you have to specify this in the config word directive otherwise ( if my case is typical ) RB4 / PGM pin will not work as a digital I/O pin

regards

val33vo
Closed Thread