UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2006, 2:15 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Mullard MW53-20 Vs MW53-80

Hi,

I think I've found a MW53-80 crt on ebay and I was wondering if I could use it to replace the broken MW53-20 in my Bush TUG59?

Thanks
David
Old 14th Jan 2006, 2:57 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Mullard MW53-20 Vs MW53-80

Hi Dave, I looked up the two tube types and while the electrical details appear identical, the deflection angles are different, The MW53-20 is given as 65 degrees, and the MW53-80 is 85 degrees. Another book gives 70 degrees and 90 degrees, So physically they are unlikely to be interchangeable. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 14th Jan 2006, 4:39 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Mullard MW53-20 Vs MW53-80

Hello,
Spot on Mick with your details. The Mazda CRM211 will also replace the MW 53-20 but unfortunately is a similat rare tube these days and unlike the Mullard tube the Mazda will probably be low emission. They are MASSIVE tubes and I remember taking one out of its box at the rebuilders and strapping it naked on the pillion seat of my Velocette 500cc motorbike, riding to the customers house and fitting it in a Ferguson 308T. I then calmly repeated the performance with the dud tube back to the regunners!
Well we were all young once! Happy days. Regards JOHN.
Closed Thread