UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2009, 8:50 pm   #1
HMV 1120
Hexode

Default The 40 minute junkbox wonder!

Yes, it's yet another glowbug built with no more than 40 minutes between up-ending my box of bits and hooking up antenna, earth etc.

The valve is a single EL91 being used as a diode in an otherwise conventional crystal set circuit. All the parts have been scavenged from dead and dying beasts - the 500pf cap' is from an old phillips set and proudly sports 'Made in Great Britain' on the other side. I remember putting it aside thinking that it might be useful one day...

Operation is reasonable, selectivity is enough to seperate R.5 Live from BBC R.Cambridgshire, and around six stations are heard on a 16' length of hook-up wire. Volume into a crystal earpiece is plenty enough on Five live. The idea came from the following website:

http://www.makearadio.com/crystal/26.php

NB: I've just realised the HT supply is shown with incorrect polarity. imagine it has been reversed!

Robs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EL91 radio.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	30436   Click image for larger version

Name:	EL91glowbug diagram..jpg
Views:	230
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	30437  

Last edited by HMV 1120; 22nd Nov 2009 at 8:55 pm. Reason: Brain dead moment!
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 11:25 pm   #2
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: The 40 minute junkbox wonder!

What is the HT voltage?
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 12:43 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

At a guess, since it's just used as a diode, there isn't any.

Is the +ve grid voltage to neutralize the space charge?
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 1:05 pm   #4
HMV 1120
Hexode

For HT I've only used 12vdc, with which it seems to work well enough. Strong stations come in moderate to uncomfortably loud.

I'm not entirely sure what the grid is doing, - I originally tried connecting +ve HT to the anode, but this had no affect (My thoughts being that it needed to be +ve to attract sufficient electrons from the cathode in order for it to work as a diode). Connecting the first grid resulted in life however....

Have just looked up the valve data sheet and it turns out Grid 3 is connected to the anode internally.That makes slightly more sense. The set works better with grid two tied to the anode.

If anyone has suggestions for improvements they'd be most welcome. I might try and convert it into a simple regenerative set instead.

Robs
Old 24th Nov 2009, 8:10 pm   #5
HMV 1120
Hexode

I've replaced the EL91 with an EF91, resulting in a slight increase in volume and sensitivity.

Revised diagram to show the set with an EL91. The connection between cathode and grid three is internal (pin six).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF91glowbug.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	30495   Click image for larger version

Name:	EL91glowbugdiagram-1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	30496  
Closed Thread