UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2018, 7:52 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Pilot Little Maestro.

Hi all, I'm tearing my hair out here. Over the years there have been many versions of the Little Maestro. The nearest I can find to mine is on the ERT service chart #1091 (Pilot T105) from Paul's CD. It looks like it, the chassis layout is identical, but my set has a UCL83 fitted instead of a UCL82 as marked on the service sheet. Does anyone know the version which uses the UCL83? I actually remember having an identical set when I was in my teens which also used a UCL83, which is the reason I am interested in getting this one sorted.
Alan.
Old 5th May 2018, 8:20 am   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Pilot Little Maestro.

I had one of these with a UCL83. I suspect it was a later 'cost reduction' of the slightly earlier UCL82 version. Likewise I never found a circuit showing the variant. However everything else is identical to the UCL82 circuit. Even the values of components around the UCL83 seem to be the same. All you have to do is find the information for the UCL83 base connections and use that in conjunction with the circuit. It really shouldn't cause too much of a problem. If I remember, the fault on mine was the anode load on the triode section of the UCL83 had gone open circuit.

I was surprised when I got mine and noticed the UCL83 fitted....back in my early teens, I also had one of these but with the UCL82. It really isn't to much of a problem to work out the connections to the UCL83.
Old 5th May 2018, 9:49 am   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Thanks for that. I was just interested to see if there were any notable differences in the circuit, particularly with the negative feedback in the output stage. The circuits are probably pretty much the same. I will cross check with my set and the circuit diagram on the service sheet, but as you say they probably did it to get away with using a cheaper/more easily available valve. Maybe they had a big stock of UCL83s to get rid of?
Alan.
Old 5th May 2018, 12:38 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Pilot were noted for using what was available...and cheapest. There doesn't need to be a lot of power for a radio of this type so even if the UCL83 was only pence cheaper than the '82, that is a lot of saving when producing 10's of thousands of radios. No component changes appear to have been made so only some wiring changes. Chances are that they never produced a full circuit showing the '83 output stage...possibly just a single-page supplement showing the changes for 'official' Pilot dealers.