UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2019, 12:47 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Thorn 9650 Consolette

Just by chance I was looking up old threads for Thorn export sets & when opening one on the 9500 chassis & was surprised to see Mikey66 had posted a picture of a DER consolette using the 9650 chassis which looks a lot like my Gran's old set.

I remember it mostly for being the first remote control set owned by anyone I knew, which seemed at odds with the traditional styling of the case, especially the sliding door over the screen.

As far as I remember my Gran didn't rent her set, so I presume Thorn made more or less the same set with the same branding.

VRAT's Thorn Chassis guide lists the Ferguson 3782 & 3789 as using the 9650 chassis, so I assume one had a consolette style case. Unfortunately there's no brochure scans of this set on the site.

My gran had it until the picture started to fade sometime in the late 1980s, & was replaced by a largish screen set that oddly didn't have teletext, when this was more or less standard on larger sets.
Old 19th May 2019, 6:03 pm   #2
neil29
Heptode

Default Re: Thorn 9650 Consolette

I've got one in the shed gathering dust. but its a bit awkward to get to at the moment if your interested.

Cheers
Neil.
Old 19th May 2019, 8:09 pm   #3
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Re: Thorn 9650 Consolette

It's nice to know you've got one, but I'm not interested in owning one I'm afraid due to a lack of space!