UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2019, 7:35 pm   #1
linescan87
Heptode

Default New VHS Tapes.

Hi All,

I was in Dealz (Poundland in Ireland) earlier today and was suprised to see new blank VHS tapes. Would these be stock that was bought up cheap and rebranded?

Cheers,
John Joe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190507_165329.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	182656  
Old 11th May 2019, 1:36 pm   #2
birksholt
Pentode

Default Re: New VHS Tapes.

Very likely, I think that is what most of their signalex branded stuff is. It is odd though to see. Perhaps with the resurgence in popularity of vinyl someone is thinking that VHS might be next. I've noticed that Wilko's have 5packs of Maxell UR tapes for sale.
Old 11th May 2019, 1:54 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Signalex stuff isn't normally rebranded, it's just their house brand that they put on all sorts of no-name Chinese tech like earphones and phone chargers. I don't doubt there are still factories in China churning out VHS cassettes for the global market. I think Poundland have always stocked VHS tapes on and off.

Poundland do sometimes sell off manufacturers' overstocks - they had a load of Belkin cables a while ago - but they don't bother rebranding it.
Old 11th May 2019, 11:13 pm   #4
John123
Heptode

Indeed, I recall a couple of years ago when they had blank TDK D-VHS tapes! I grabbed a dozen to use in some of my S-VHS machines with good results. The only issue was the non-standard tape length confusing the 'used time/ time remaining' feature.
Old 13th May 2019, 10:37 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

I have seen those signalex tapes at various times over the last six or so years. If the audio tapes they put out are anything to go by I would steer well clear!

John - good to hear I wasn't the the only one to grab a load of those TDK DVHS blanks!!
Old 14th May 2019, 12:16 am   #6
John123
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
John - good to hear I wasn't the the only one to grab a load of those TDK DVHS blanks!!
They did come in handy, didn't they? IIRC I only found out about them because of a tip-off on this very forum! Nice one, Ben
Old 14th May 2019, 10:10 am   #7
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I have seen those signalex tapes at various times over the last six or so years. If the audio tapes they put out are anything to go by I would steer well clear!
The Signalex stuff isn't all junk, it's just mostly low end as you would expect in Poundland. I use Signalex HDMI cables and USB SD card readers without problems, and have used their DVD-Rs in the past. BigClive tore down one of their USB chargers and was quite impressed with it.
Old 14th May 2019, 12:53 pm   #8
electronicskip
Nonode

If memory serves , I think that Betamax tapes were only stopped being manufactured a couple of years ago?? so there must be large amounts of new VHS Tapes cached in corners of warehouses all over the world .
Old 14th May 2019, 12:59 pm   #9
ekjdm14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
... BigClive tore down one of their USB chargers and was quite impressed with it.

Yes, at least there were no exploding LED's or requirement to use a "death-daptor"

I'm surprised to read that Betamax tapes were in production until fairly recently, bodes well for VHS tapes if they hang in there for as long.
Old 14th May 2019, 1:37 pm   #10
Richard_FM
Octode

I some markets (Japan & Latin America come to mind) Betamax managed to get a bigger market share than VHS, though this might mean the blank tapes are NTSC only.

I can't remember them being sold in the UK after the early 1990s.
Old 14th May 2019, 1:41 pm   #11
Refugee
Dekatron

Blank tapes are just that.
You are right for prerecorded tapes though.
Old 14th May 2019, 2:35 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

It was the rental market that gave VHS the advantage over Beta here. There was otherwise little to choose between them for the average user.
Old 14th May 2019, 2:41 pm   #13
julie_m
Dekatron

Blank cassettes are physically interchangeable between PAL/SECAM and NTSC recorders, though the recording time will be incorrect due to the different tape speeds; a T-180 will give nearly 4 hours on a PAL recorder, whereas an E-180 will give only just over 2 hours on an NTSC recorder.
Old 18th May 2019, 4:47 pm   #14
birksholt
Pentode

It might have been poundworld then that did the rebranding thing. I remember seeing a documentary about the shop and the owner was talking about how they would buy up clearance stock from various places and repackage it. I'm tempted to give them a try to see what they're like.
Old 18th May 2019, 6:39 pm   #15
saxmaniac
Heptode

There was something on radio 4 a few weeks ago about someone who has opened a vhs tape hire shop. Who would have thought there were enoq customers for such a thing?
Old 18th May 2019, 10:04 pm   #16
emeritus
Dekatron

It must be 5 years since the local charity shops had any VHS tapes. They ended up going at 5/£1. I used to look out for Warner Brothers cartoon collections that are not sufficiently PC for DVD release these days.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:43 pm   #17
ben
Dekatron

Interesting you should mention charities. On my last few visits to north west UK I noticed several chazzers have started selling VHS tapes again, after almost a decade with not one tape to be found! No idea how much of a trend this really is...
Old 18th May 2019, 11:12 pm   #18
birksholt
Pentode

One of the charity shops near me sells them though I don't think it ever stopped. I think they are normally 50p each but sometimes they do them 10 for £1. I got series 1 to 5 of Only Fools and Horses for a quid from there.
Closed Thread